DIY stretch

XTHNG1

DMC quick question for ya how far up the stock bags did you lay the glass or did you completely wrap them in glass ? Hoping to do something like this to mine but have heard that the plastic and the glass expand and contract differently.

DMC

Site Supporter
I went most of the way up the bag to just below the latch recess and smoothed everything from there. If you use epoxy resin, you should be OK and not have any expansion/contraction issues. Epoxy resin is sooooo much better than the polyester and vinyl ester resins, and it doesn't stink...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

XTHNG1

DMC been looking at the epoxy resins from TAP plastics, US Composites and Fiberglast and now I totally confused. What do you suggest and where do you get it ? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

DMC

Site Supporter
The EL-335 is the best stuff I've found. Its thick, so you'll wanna use cloth, not mat. Mixing is tricky too because its by weight. Pretty much any epoxy resin will be better than the esters...

http://www.expresscomposites.com/epoxies.html

Ron S

That's gonna look good !!! I'm curious, how much resin would you be using on a project like this. I'm going to be doing this on my bike and would like to get the last one first instead of coming up short and waiting for more to get here ?

DMC

Site Supporter
I'd be surprised if you went through a gallon. You don't need much if you use fiberglass cloth.

FLHX2013

Man! I'm inspired! Being new to this and reading on this thread has opened up my mind for some creativity!

DMC

Site Supporter
Stretched my outer, stretched my radio hole, stretched my speaker holes...uploadfromtaptalk1400252942599.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400252981462.jpg

DMC

Site Supporter
Fairing is pretty sweet! How the hell do you work in there with barely any light lol?
Thanks! I turned the lights down just for the pics so I could see the shadows better. It helps me see if the lines are straight/consistent.

Covers look great!! Nice work!!
Thanks! Making one is easy, making the other one look like the first one is the hard part...

Latest posts