Detailing/cleaning black bike??

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Jeremy1976

What are you guys using for bugs and to clean your black bikes to avoid swirl marks? If I do have to use the hose and soap and water I never touch a rag to it to dry it I will use my gas leaf blower. I like to clay bar and wax my stuff though and remember when I got my black Night Train all the swirl marks in it from previous owner. I just want to try to avoid that with my new SG. Any recommendations?

Thanks

sutsut70

Site Supporter
I have an '08 Vivid Black SG. I bought one of those wash mitts and it is only used for the bike. I also thoroughly clean the mitt before and after every wash. And, just like you plan, I dry it with my leaf blower and no rags.

ramnj

One of THE 150!
I use a bug remover spray (made by TurtleWax). Spray it on and let it stand for several minutes. Also use S100 and a LOT of water. Seems to work fine and so far no swirl marks.

WFO-SG

Banned
I had a Vivid Black before painting it. I love black, always the best looking color other than most customs. My fairing had swirls but everything else seemed fine. Never really tried anything to get it out. Just washed,dried it and used a wax. Maybe a 3M scratch remover will work. I used this on other things and works great. I actually just used it last night on my sons Tee-ball helmet and got rid of swirls, dull spots, etc.

yardsale

Up in da one fiddy...
You're kidding right? I have a vivid black SG, black C6 corvette, and a black lab/boarder collie mix. I've buffed, waxed, and polished all three of them until they are pink and there is nothing that prevent swirls except having them immediately encased in an air-tight glass case filled with clear acrylic gel immediately after the polisher is finished. Let me know if you find something that works. Lol!

WFO-SG

Banned
well I never said it came out new lol. But the 3M I used last night worked great. No need for it now. No more black

RainmanCS

You're kidding right? I have a vivid black SG, black C6 corvette, and a black lab/boarder collie mix. I've buffed, waxed, and polished all three of them until they are pink and there is nothing that prevent swirls except having them immediately encased in an air-tight glass case filled with clear acrylic gel immediately after the polisher is finished. Let me know if you find something that works. Lol!

How did that lab/boarder collie like being buffed, waxed and polished?

thecort

I use Turtle Wax "Black Box". It's a 4 step process & It works great.

Tap it!

I heard from friends and other forums that Pledge is a great way to spray the fairing after you geti ti clean. Bugs wont stick to it, so the next ride's clean up is easier. The bugs here in MD actually leave imrpints in the paint (could be I hit them at 85mph!), so I clay bar a couple times a season. I also have 3M pro series compound and glaze, Compound takes out all the scratches from boots hitting and bugs, then the glaze removes the fine swirls from the compound. Not for the faint of hearts, find a good detail shop to work with and they can give it a good "once over" before the riding season starts.

Jeremy1976

I heard from friends and other forums that Pledge is a great way to spray the fairing after you geti ti clean. Bugs wont stick to it, so the next ride's clean up is easier. The bugs here in MD actually leave imrpints in the paint (could be I hit them at 85mph!), so I clay bar a couple times a season. I also have 3M pro series compound and glaze, Compound takes out all the scratches from boots hitting and bugs, then the glaze removes the fine swirls from the compound. Not for the faint of hearts, find a good detail shop to work with and they can give it a good "once over" before the riding season starts.

I will consider that. I too have heard of pledge. Thanks for the reply!

DAPERFORMANCE

Extreme Vendor
I love the way black looks when perfect, but i cant stand the swirl marks and keeping it looking perfect. Too much maintance. Every single piece on my bike is black. I think im gonna paint my bike some house of colors color next year when i do my tank and drop seat. Lol

Buggy

One of THE 150!
I use colinite wax (clear bottle ,red letters ,at advance auto $18 or so) It works great on all colors and leave a smooth baby ass finish and the bugs come right off.

thecort

You guys got me all amp'd up to polish my front fairing, so...I tried my clay bar on it it...HUGE mistake!!!! It scratched the SHIT out of it, to the point where I thought i'd have to have it re-painted (I was planning on doing that anyway). I just got out the TW Black Box & it fixed it! Phew!

Jeremy1976

You guys got me all amp'd up to polish my front fairing, so...I tried my clay bar on it it...HUGE mistake!!!! It scratched the SHIT out of it, to the point where I thought i'd have to have it re-painted (I was planning on doing that anyway). I just got out the TW Black Box & it fixed it! Phew!

Damn, good to know. I usually clay bar both cars once a season for sure along with a good detail job in and out. I will keep the clay away from the bike. I would never own another black car/truck again. As far as bikes, black is my favorite color!!

Latest posts