Custom Softail Bagger

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
Ok let’s make this interesting let’s see if anyone is reading this crap that I am writing. Since this bike is my company bike I have permission to say something about my company in this thread.
It's RockerLockers.com, they are inserts that go into the rocker arms to stop the rotation of the shaft. It’s easier to go to the web page and check them out, better than I can explain them here.
But here is what I am going to do I will give a few free kits out to the next few people who email me at [email protected]. Or say something in here. That included guest and members, any shop who does Harley repair can get a set to try. If your bike does not have a top end tick then these will not help your bike so please do not ask for a set if you don’t need them.
I’m getting closer to paint on my fender, shot the color and a quick clear last Wednesday, it needs to be color sanded and another clear for it to look good. I also finished up the body work on the gas tank, it is looking pretty good, I have it in primer and sanded for color. I went up to the paint store and picked up some Brandywine paint and some black without any metallic. I am going to use this as a toner in clear as a candy on the carbon fiber and the metal flake to give it that black cherry look. Hope to get some painting done this weekend.

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
Back to the seat, I had Mrs. Cruiser’s sat on the Corbin/FLH seat, she really likes it, she says that she has more room than either of the other seats, looks like the placement of the back rest and the seat are right where she like it. It is very comfortable for me also, I have long legs and it does not cramp me at all.
So time to start gluing the FLH pad onto the Corbin pan.

It’s important to have reference marks.

I’m using spray contact glue and brush on contact to glue the pads together and onto the Corbin pad.

There was a gap between the two and the passenger pad was higher so that needed to be filled.

You have to let that dry real good then grind it down.

This gives me a short back rest, this will be my new touring seat so will be appreciated.

Cut off the nose where it went over the tank on the FLH.

And there is your seat ready for upholstery.
I want to show one thing.

That little debit a the back of the seat comes standard on any FLH seat, not all seats have it, the Corbin did not, my Softail did not, that is a relief for your Coccyx.
No I am not making that up, it’s for your tail bone in case it has ever been broken it can cause pain if not there.
Gees this is much harder than I expected, the fact that the driver’s seat is connected to the passengers set is the problem. You have so many different angles, so many dips plus it is such a big area to deal with. I thought the seat was going to be easy, I was wrong.
I’m laying out the cover, in areas where there is a recess you need to treat the material more like wood to get it to fit right, seams in the deepest area so that you can give extra material there.

Then measure and add a couple of inches, (somehow things tend to shrink) lay it out upside down and trim. You can see the piece that I have my hand on is cut with a bow to fit the back.

Then you overlay the two plus the width of the seam and mark the part on the back rest.

Stitch them together and get ready for the next piece.

[/URL
]

And that is enough for right now.

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
Ok, got the metalflake base coat on, I love the color, photo does not do it justice. It is a small flake, I bought several sizes I like this the best. Need another coat of clear then sand then put on the black toner to tone it down and fade to black along the bottom and highlighted areas.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the metal flake makes the dark red pop. I would love to see this in person.

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
I really like the metal flake makes the dark red pop. I would love to see this in person.
I wish I could get a better photo, they do not even come close.

A lot of what you are seeing in the photo is because of the orange peel, that will be sanded off but the color is so deep. The flake color is apple and is the color of a mackintosh, that real deep two tone red and has just a hint of purple.
Like I said it needs to be sanded then the black toner will go over the top, The toner will give that black cherry look, indoors and at night it will look black but in the sun it will have that deep black cherry look.
I'm getting my front fender sanded ready for the metal flake, When I mounted it because of the bigger tire it is now hitting my crash bars when the wheel is turned and hitting a bump, so I think I can move my crash bars back an inch or so and miss it. It made a few small cuts in the paint so no big problem. One of the nice things about the black cherry fading to black it that you can blend in a touch up pretty easy especially on the edges where it will be mostly black.

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
Anyone want to guess what is in the white blanket, other than 75 2 inch sheet rock screws, on no heat, turn every ten minutes until done?

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
First I want to show what I am working today, it is to wet to paint so I want a custom dash on the tank made out of carbon fiber. I want to do this before my paint is done so in case I get some on the paint it is not disastrous. So start with your carbon fiber. There is shipping tape on top of the tank, under the carbon fiber.

[/URL
]
Here is three layers, that should be enough to make it stiff, and can always add more if needed.

This is west systems G-flex, I'm not crazy about it but wanted to give it a try. Normally I use their 105 with the 107 hardener, it is a very clear hardener used on surf boards and where you want clear.
I really like the west system epoxy, you can get several different hardeners depending on how fast a cure time you want, and you can get different fillers to stiffen up the mix. They sell pumps that go on top of the cans so it is easy to mix. West is not cheap, there are several company's that sell epoxy but I like the flexibility of the different hardener system.

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/tour%20pack/20190226_104146_zpsdg3ecwcy.jpg.html][/URL
]
And there is your base for the new dash, yes it is wider than it needs to be. I need to let it cure before I pop it off, then will mold the top.
Back to the seat.
The seat is much harder than I expected, you have so many different angles, so many dips plus it is such a big area to deal with. I thought the seat was going to be easy, I was wrong.

Ready for my side pattern, using an old towel.

Transfer your pattern.

In order to mark where you want to make the final cut before attaching the sides, I turn the cover over and mark the back +1/2 this give me the material extra to sew the two pieces together.
And you do the same thing with the sides, mark where they line up and sew them together.

And there is your cover, it will be interesting to see how it looks when it is stretched onto the pan, I think I am pretty close and things will fit pretty good, will see later.
I have not put the cover on yet, I was not going to put in a seat heater but ran across something real cool, or actually hot, carbon fiber heat tape. I’ve used heat wire before in several of my projects, heated grips heated coat, but this stuff really looks cool, er hot. It comes in different widths and is carbon fiber impregnated with a electrical conductor. Nice thing is that it is flat, and being 1 3/4 wide will make it a natural for under the cover. Only problem, the only place I can find it comes from Russia, yea the country and it takes about two months to get it.
I don’t know if I am going to wait to put it on or pull the cover off later.

Last edited:

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
I ask Blackbeard to change the name of this thread since we have moved on past the tour pack.
I started to form the new dash, I’m using my old speedometer for this one I might go digital later but don’t want to make too many changes at a time.

[/URL
]
So need something about the same size.
[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/tour%20pack/20190228_155512_zps3efmbnel.jpg.html][/URL

]
Some wood just as a filler.
[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/tour%20pack/20190228_162236_zpsjjw1bxca.jpg.html][/URL

]
I am using modeling clay it does not get hard, and is easy to work with, you cut it into thin layers and just apply it where you want it built up.
[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/tour%20pack/20190228_162647_zps46q8gwg2.jpg.html][/URL

]
I decided to pull the tap out and fill it with clay since the dash was getting too tall, this way I can cut it down or move it around.
[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/tour%20pack/20190228_174037_zpsxmvhiipc.jpg.html][/URL

]
I also pulled the wood out and filled it with clay. The gray is new, the green is five ten years old.
[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/tour%20pack/20190228_183220_zpsd3yhz3sm.jpg.html][/URL

]
I have trimmed it up a little and rolled it with a brayer but still need to add a bunch of clay to get the shape and then cut it to the shape that I like.
[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/tour%20pack/20190228_182633_zpsnaimwxfo.jpg.html][/URL

]
The dash needs to be high enough for a small circuit board with four relays on it, they are going to be my new keyless ignition. The ignition will have six buttons that you have to push in a certain sequence. Three will be wired so that each one need to be pushed in a certain order, they will trigger a relay that is wired as a hold in relay, three will be kill so that if you push any of these it kills all the relays that have been triggered and you have to start over. I will explain this better as we go along.
The dash still needs a lot of work, but that is all that I have time for today.

Last edited:

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter

Mean green

Site Supporter
Wow. You have a wide range of skills. Love seeing all of your in-process photos. Keep them coming.

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
I got three layers of carbon fiber on, it looks real good, I'm not sure if I will need to do any sizing (grinding) to get it smooth or not if so then I will give it another layer. For the first two coats I used 105 west system hardner, it has a red tint and is a fast set. For the last coat I used a 107 that is real clear, but more expensive, it's what is used on surf boards. I'm letting it cure now. The dash does not look near as tall in cf.

Last edited:

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
Wow. You have a wide range of skills. Love seeing all of your in-process photos. Keep them coming.
Mean I did not see this post, so thanks but let me get on my soap box, I say this over and over and if it is the only thing that I pass along that will make me happy.
Skills are learned, they are not given to you. You build skill on top of skill. Something that you learn doing wood work will help you in fiberglass work. You learn by doing, when someone tells me they could never do something I ask them if they have tried. You won’t learn if you don’t try. You will surprise yourself on what you can do if you try. Yeah you are going to screw up stuff learning but that is how you learn. Holding something in your hand that you have made is very rewarding. Holding something that you have screwed up is very frustrating but you just brush it away and try again.
Ok enough talk, the dash is popped.

[/URL
]

It is going to need sizing to get it nice and flat, so will need another layer on top afterwards.

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/carbon%20fiber%20dash/20190303_140654_zpsbnx4dxsu.jpg.html][/URL
]

I want to point out the difference in layering up verses using a mold, you can see how smooth and slick the last photo is where I used the tank as a mold.
Anyway this thing is very heavy it weighs at least ten pounds, oh yea its full of ten pounds of clay, LOL. I need to trim it down and cut a access hole in the bottom, but do not have time to do that today so……

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
I have started to trim up the dash, I want to leave a little on the edge until I can put a layer inside to help tie the top to the bottom.

[/URL
]

The main thing is to get rid of the raged edges, the carbon fiber with the epoxy is razor sharp and like needles, not fun to work with.
The edges will be trimmed down when I start to size everything.
[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/carbon%20fiber%20dash/20190304_160803_zpsmwtytmpd.jpg.html][/URL

]

There was a little damage to the tank, some epoxy bled down under the tape, but it will sand out. This is why I wanted to do the dash before sanding and the last coat of clear.
Need to get the clay out, this is just a rough cut.
[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/carbon%20fiber%20dash/20190304_162710_zpsh6vwxgyw.jpg.html][/URL

]
[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/carbon%20fiber%20dash/20190304_162909_zps9aavztrv.jpg.html]

[/URL
]
The clay is pretty hard because it is cold, well 65 degrees, don’t hate me I live in north Florida.
I was able to dig some of the clay out but will let it set in the sun tomorrow and see if I can get the rest out. Gas will melt it so will use that to finish the clean out.
My little control module for my keyless ignition switch fits inside, so that is good. I kept trimming it down and was not sure if it would fit.
[URL=https://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/carbon%20fiber%20dash/20190304_180644_zpszpnwlw1h.jpg.html][/URL

]

I was able to get a touch up primer coat on the front fender so hope to get some color on tomorrow, no photo just imagine a black fender, LOL
That all I have time for now, later.

Last edited:

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
Ok,,,,,, got color on the front fender, no photos, it cold, 55 degrees, and getting dark so you have to wait. The tank and fender are read for sanding, and then the toner black that makes the black cherry. I have confession, I'm never happy so felt that the color should have a little more flash, some purple so I ordered some deep burgundy flake to add to the apple red to give it a purple tone.

I thought it would add some, flash, I was going to try it on the fender and showed Mrs Cruiser and she had words of wisdom, "try a test panel." Yea number one rule in painting. Her dad owed a body shop, both brothers owed body shops, she grew up has worked in body shops most of her childhood. So I took her advice. Anyway enough of my rambling did what she said and it is just too much flash and not the look that I am going for so will put it on the shelf with the five other colors that I bought to find the Right Color.

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
Ok a quick update here is the front fender, the color is perfect, it needs to be toned WAY down but this is the base that the black toner goes over. The idea is for the flake to show deep down inside the black toner.

[/URL
]
I was able to get most of the clay out of the dash, first heated it up in the oven to 100 and dug most of it out with a spoon, then heated it up to 210 and the rest pretty much melted and ran out of the edges. Then some gas with a paint brush and 99 percent is out. Then some hot water under the faucet. I still need to use some more gas and a tooth brush to get the last bit cleaned out, but Mrs. Cruiser will be home soon and well, i do not want the house to have that carbon fiber dash in the oven smell, and gas/modeling clay in her wash tub smell. We hate that.
You can see that I opened up the bottom some more that still needs trimming.

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/carbon%20fiber%20dash/20190306_174250_zpskuohmld7.jpg.html]

I also did some sizing but only to get an idea of where it is low so that I can add another layer there before more sizing. It also needs a layer inside the corner before sizing the sides.
However that being said, I need to put this on the shelf for a while and consecrate on my paint.

I’m always amazed how strong this stuff is and how light, it is like egg shells that are strong as steel. Cool stuff and in all reality easier to use than fiberglass, just cost a bunch more. LOL

Last edited:

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
This is a Cricut cutter, it belongs to the youth camp where I work part time.

[/URL
]

It is very cool. It has a program that you can go online and download, Cricut design space, you can even practice using it without the cutter, just print it out.
It uses Vector files, instead of pixels that are used in a bitmap or jpg. Vector uses mathematical formulas to draw figures. The advantage is that a vector image is very scalable. When you enlarge pixel images there are not enough pixels. And you get pixilation.
On a vector image because it is a mathematical equation you can make it as large as you want.
CNC machines use vector programs. You can Import jpg images into the vector file and the cricut program converts them. The HD logo is a jpg file off the internet.

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/carbon%20fiber%20dash/20190308_161649_zpsh9jys0sm.jpg.html][/URL
]

I’m using stencil vinyl, it is not as sticky as the regular vinyl that is designed to stick forever. This is called weeding; you are getting rid of everything where you want your paint to go. Where it is white, when transferred to the tank that will get painted black on the tank.

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/autonews2/media/carbon%20fiber%20dash/20190308_162950_zpspd5pzg9f.jpg.html][/URL
]

And that is what the logo will look like, the Davidson will be up in line with the rest, not underneath.
It’s a little tedious weeding this, a little hard to see and getting under the part that you want to pull out. The center of the e,o want to come out with the weeding, but patience is a virtue unsurpassed by any other.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
That looks really awesome. I'm enjoying seeing this all come together.

Cricuts, are fun as well. My fiance has one and it makes projects like this, well, I use them for making cornhole boards so much more decorative.

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
That looks really awesome. I'm enjoying seeing this all come together.

Cricuts, are fun as well. My fiance has one and it makes projects like this, well, I use them for making cornhole boards so much more decorative.
Yea, I did not know what to expect on the cricut but it is fun learning. Hardest part is finding a font that you like and size. I printed out one that I thought I liked and it was way to big. Srunk it down three times to get the size that I liked. Cut it once.
I'm going to print out some extra, and some RockerLockers.com. I don't know if I am going to use them or not thinking on the side of the tour pack, but hey it would be a tax write off company bike then. LOL

Latest posts