Custom dash with nav/mp3

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

lumper

Does anyone make a tank dash with a cutout for a device like a navigator or mp3 player etc..?

I am thinking of trying to incorporate something in the dash.

I dont want to add anything to the bars but I would like an lcd with nav/music, etc.. I dont plan on running a fairing full time so I think the dash is a good place to look for something so when I want to go without a fairing or a windshield I can still have built in nav/audio.

I have an 07 police so I was also thinking I would obviously get rid of the tach and maybe incorporate something there, but I would prefer the dash.

I might be able to just modify one myself with some basic wiring and a dremel but I was wondering if there were any out there already.

I was thinking I might do lower fairings with speakers and install a stereo in them that I can control with my hand controls so if I want to put them on for a trip or something I can, otherwise I can unplug them and take them off.
Thanks for any info
Lump

lumper

Thanks clewis,
I don have an Iphone and really wasnt planning on getting one so I like the link to cyclone where they make one that fits lots of Phones and devices.
Thats going to be a good starting point for me, I have a lot to learn in that area, I dont have any navigators, or mp3 players, etc.. and I am not real familiar with them.
I know I want to have a navigator app or device on the bike, and sat radio and I want them to be pretty stealthy and built in, but so far thats all I know.
I can see where my current phone would be good, it has nav/music, etc.. plus it is a phone so I could bluetooth answer calls if I had to.
Anyway thanks for the info
Lump

clewis022002

No problem. I was researching the same thing recently for the build Im doing onmy RG. What somebody really needs to do is make one that would look good on a stretched tank. The Hells Foundry one would be ok but like you I dont have an Iphone. I prefer android.

Last edited:

lumper

My android phone has a charging cable that goes in the side, thats gonna be a pita in a dash mount, I want to find one with a top or bottom charging plug so I can permanently mount a charging line into like a docking station in the dash basically, so whenever I go out I put my phone in the dash and it is charging and doing all it does, so if I want nav. I have it, or calls, etc..
Lump

clewis022002

My android phone has a charging cable that goes in the side, thats gonna be a pita in a dash mount, I want to find one with a top or bottom charging plug so I can permanently mount a charging line into like a docking station in the dash basically, so whenever I go out I put my phone in the dash and it is charging and doing all it does, so if I want nav. I have it, or calls, etc..
Lump
Good point about the cable. Have to keep that in mind

lumper

I would just buy an iphone but I cant see any benefit over my phone except the plug position and the iphones are still 4 and 500$ where my phone is around $200.00.
My wife wants it to herself though and I rarely use it so I might pop on something new that will work on the bike, but it is all about how it will mount and function on my bike than anything else.
I was reading all these iphone things then I realized there all about the same size, if it will fit an iphone I am 90% it will work with my phone or most any 4:3 phones out there I think.

Since I am not in a hurry and wont need it til next spring I will watch to see what comes out and what drops in price, who knows maybe next May I will grab a last generation iphone for cheap or a new android if they move the charging plug.
The rule in electronics is every 6 months the technology jumps a level and something new is announced for the next 6 months so if you wait you can usually get yesterdays news for a good price and if you dont need the latest greatest it is a good way to save some cash and still get the functionality you want.

Lump

Last edited:

Rocky

I have a Cyclone Custom dash on my Street Glide. It has openings on the top, side, and bottom for cables so it would work for your Droid phone charger. The Hells Foundry dash that I saw on a bike is plastic and only works for iPhone. My Cyclone console is chrome plated aluminum. It is also weatherproof and it locks the phone in its compartment with a genuine Harley lock that fits my ignition key. When it rains I just pop in the rain shield and I can still see my map and the phone stays dry.

Latest posts