Cross Referancing Touring Voltage Regulator

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

smokenjoep01

I am trying to find a replacement regulator for my custom build with a stock twin cam, touring charging system. I need a voltage regulator that mounts flat like most the other models other than the touring. The touring is mounted with legs over the front motor mount. I am wanting to mount it flat, in a more discreet location and need to determine what regulators can be used?

crutter

Site Supporter
When you say flat I am assuming horizontal? I know the older soft tail(ie2003) were mounted vertically on the frame but I am sure you could lay it flat. I don't think finding the regulator is going to be an issue. The issue is going to be finding a regulator that matches your stator plug

smokenjoep01

When you say flat I am assuming horizontal? I know the older soft tail(ie2003) were mounted vertically on the frame but I am sure you could lay it flat. I don't think finding the regulator is going to be an issue. The issue is going to be finding a regulator that matches your stator plug
Yes, correct, exactly. Every other model is as you explain. The touring models have legs on the regulator. And the touring are also higher amperage. Just wondering if I can solder on a different end and it will work or if there is one that I can buy that will work out of the box????

bagger specialties

One of THE 150!
Yes, correct, exactly. Every other model is as you explain. The touring models have legs on the regulator. And the touring are also higher amperage. Just wondering if I can solder on a different end and it will work or if there is one that I can buy that will work out of the box????

The regulator should be bolted to what you are calling " legs " its a regulator mount, unbolt it and mouve it. but keep in mind there are fins on it so it has to get air for cooling.

smokenjoep01

The regulator should be bolted to what you are calling " legs " its a regulator mount, unbolt it and mouve it. but keep in mind there are fins on it so it has to get air for cooling.

The legs and regulator are all cast as one as far as I could tell. Will double check and see if they are removable. I may just wack the legs off with a sawzall and use double sided sticky tape to hold it down.

smokenjoep01

Problem I see is the freakin wires come out the bottom. Preventing me from just siliconing it down flat.
Any suggestions??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk