comp release on a 107

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Mr.Goodtime

Site Supporter
A buddy of mine just had a 107 kit inastalled on a 09 SG with a 96in. He got some mild head work and a Woods 777 cam with high comp pistons ....Are comp release needed for this set up????..The damn thing barley turns over!!!!!!!!!!!

Zach

Site Supporter
What does it crank at? If it's over 180 (which it should be) then it is a good idea to throw the comp releases in. Problem is you need to have the heads off to do it right. Unfortunate your bud got some bad advice.

Make sure the battery is fully charged, cables are in good shape, and grounds are clean and tight as well. Any of those can contribute to a hard starting motor.

Zach

Bill

I used to own some shit!
My 107" doesn't have comp releases...

Starts easy when cold, but struggles a little when hot. Wouldn't mind having them but they don't seem completely necessary with my 10:1 compression.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

coolerman69

One of THE 150!
My 95 DEFINITELY needs them, especially when hot. Sometimes when I forget to push them it will barely turn over. I think they are cheap insurance any time an engine build is done

DCHBGR

Site Supporter
Cooler and all the rest....comp release are def a good thing to have... I know u guys get the half of a start when the starter kicks out and sounds line the gear is striping? There is a fix for that.

DCHBGR

Site Supporter
Def the first I have ever heard of that...maybe I'm not describing it well enough but anyway no biggie....what kind of set up are u running cooler?

bagger specialties

One of THE 150!
check for voltage drop from your starter button to the starter. or it couled be a ground issue. its deff. cheeper then a release. i run one release on the rear cylinder. but hardley ever use it.

coolerman69

One of THE 150!
Def the first I have ever heard of that...maybe I'm not describing it well enough but anyway no biggie....what kind of set up are u running cooler?
I know exactly what your talkin about. Heard it many times on other bikes with built motors but not on any with manual CRs. Mine is a 95 SE Big bore kit with SE race heads SE race pistons 10.5-1 comp, 257 cams rinehart TDs. Polished stock TB with Zippers filter

At 107 kit with woods cams 777 cold crank will be about 195/199cc stock heads at 85ccs
Static is 10.24.1
And I am guessing you have flat top pisons -1.5cc and 40 thou head gasket
Yes I would say get them.

Bill yours should be at 10.19 static and 180/187 CC. psi with the Andrews 54 in your kit.

Mr.Goodtime

Site Supporter
Thanks guys for all your response!!!...I am getting real concerned about this builder.. In my neck of the woods he is suppose to be the god of building and tuning. The builder has givin my buddy every excuse in the book as to why his bike will not start except CR!.. He has went as far as telling him that his PC has took a dump to his TB is going bad!!!..My buddy took it back last time and he told him it was just his battery!..lol.. He just went to the beach this weekend and had to trailer it because of this mystery problem. I havent talked to him since he left. But i told him that I would def take it back for CR.....

Zach

Site Supporter
Thanks guys for all your response!!!...I am getting real concerned about this builder.. In my neck of the woods he is suppose to be the god of building and tuning. The builder has givin my buddy every excuse in the book as to why his bike will not start except CR!.. He has went as far as telling him that his PC has took a dump to his TB is going bad!!!..My buddy took it back last time and he told him it was just his battery!..lol.. He just went to the beach this weekend and had to trailer it because of this mystery problem. I havent talked to him since he left. But i told him that I would def take it back for CR.....

Has your buddy done a compression test yet? That will tell the story as to how to fix the problem. Like I said earlier, if the battery isn't putting out enough or the cables are worn it could act like your describing. If the tune is not correct in the cranking and start up tables, it could also act like that. Power Commander would not be my first choice for a high compression build. Maybe if it's a newer version they have resolved some of their problems. Used to not allow enough timing adjustment.

Do a compression test and report back. For his bike I would probably have a charger on the batter while doing the test to see if it makes a difference. The motor has to spin over relatively quickly in order to get an accurate reading. Remember to hold the throttle wide open while cranking too.

Zach

smokenjoep01

Has he replaced the starter clutch? You can also bring the starter to a local auto electric shop and have them beef up the stock starter. I have done a couple 777 cam installs with pistons and head work. One had starting issues that a starter clutch resolved. No problems with the others.

Latest posts