cam swap LOUD TICKING!!

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

AddictJ

One of THE 150!
put the new 777 cam and woods lifter with fuel moto adj pushrods and it ticking like crazy!!!!!!!!! only ran it for 1 min, thinking maybe it might take a couple mins to get the new oil in the lifter and settle in? ill run it for a couple min in the morning, hopefully it goes away. cant really think of anything else it could be?

AddictJ

One of THE 150!
did u soak the lifters over night in oil?

no just quick dipped them before i put them in. did the same thing on last bike and didnt have a prob. not sure if this cam is just louder the the 555. hoping it just needs more oil in the lifters, to late to run it now and its driving me crazy thinking about it lol this is the 1st time i have used adj pushrods but cant really screw them up(i hope lol)

Zach

Site Supporter
How many turns on the pushrods and what is their tpi?
Did you make sure they were at zero lash before you adjusted and gave them time to bleed down before you rotated to the other cylinder?
Are you sure you were on the ase circle of the cam while adjusting?

Just some things that can cause noises.

Zach

crutter

Site Supporter
The woods lifters come preprimed. Don't soak them or squirt oil into them. Make sure your push rods are adjusted properly. Some one already mentioned it but did you prime your oil pump? I turn the ignition to the on, place the bike in fifth, and jack up the rear tire. Remove the plugs and pushrods and spin rear tire by hand until the oil light goes off. Did you seat the oil pump on the crank per the service manual? What can plate did you use?

AddictJ

One of THE 150!
put the oil pump back together wrong, put the spacer on the outside not the inside. but it fucked up the oil pump housing, cam plate and crank! just my luck

crutter

Site Supporter
How did it fuck up the crank? What cam plate are you using? Did you upgrade the oil pressure sprin, plunger, and hydraulic tensioners? Take pics please. Might be able to save it.

AddictJ

One of THE 150!
all fixed, got a new oil pump. the area around the crank were it dig into was fine i just had to get rid of the 2 burs. its running great now and the valvetrain is quiter then stock now

AddictJ

One of THE 150!
i have did more then 1 cam swap, not sure what was going through my head when i put the oil pump back together wrong! o well, i bet i will never do it again lol

Slowbagger

Site Supporter
put the oil pump back together wrong, put the spacer on the outside not the inside. but it fucked up the oil pump housing, cam plate and crank! just my luck

I did the same exact thing when I put my cams in. Pulled the plate off and it sucked them out, I thought I saw how they fell so I put them back in that way and couldn't get the knocking to go away but luckily figured it out before it fvcked anything up. You're not alone sir..

Latest posts