Calculating Voltage/Wattage Use

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

smokenjoep01

He folks. I'm doing a cutom build with a early model twin cam motor and donor electrical system. I have the single phase 38Amp system. I am trying to figure out my amperage use. My electrical componets consist of the following.
H-4 Headlight. I would guess 10 amps alone?
LED taillight and turn signals.
Stereo and 75 X 4 amp
Compressor for airride

From what I understand my single phase 38Amp system only puts out 16 amps @ 1000 rpm and 38 @ 2,500rpm
I wouldnt mind converting to a three phase 50Amp. But those have a completly different compensator sprocket/primary set up.
So I need to crunch my numbers and see what my 38 amp system will push. Any ideas how much amperage I will be needing based on the list above?

Bill

I used to own some shit!
It's damn near impossible to calculate as not everything is being used at once....

smokenjoep01

Say what? I will be using a headlight, a running light,air compressor and a stero while Im riding. Then high beam in the real dark and directionals when I turn. So lets start with determing that usage??? ;)

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
Forget the LEDs are there, those are fractional consumers of power. You could power those LEDs off the heat on your butt in the seat... You'll probably have to add a resistor to even make the blinker blink, there's no enought draw to make it work properly.

Your compressor hopefully doesn't run all the time, so no need to calculate that.. It'll pull from the battery,

Your radio with a 4 amp draw and a bright headlight.. So something like 12 at once max.. You sure want be wide open volume on the radio all the time.

I've got more, way more pulling off a stock charging system and it works fine.

slothy

Balls
well find watts for the bulbs then you can figure out the amps since you know the voltage formula is watts divided by voltage.

and for amp - not sure how you would figure that out, same principal but they have efficiency losses in them.

Last edited:

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
Oh the radio amp, what's the fuse in it? It's probly geared to burn at 2 times the max power. So if it's 15amp my guess would be 7.5.

But that's full blast, plus, and I'll bet it'll be distorted.

smokenjoep01

Im running a 636 headlight so no led conversion. Marc, I think you have a 50 amp three phase system on your bike much more powerful than my single phase 38 amp system.
The jist of all your saying is that I should have plenty of juice , even with my weak system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokenjoep01

After careful calculations it was determined my system was going to be just at its max output. So I ordered a 50 amp three phase system with a custom regulator for my unique mounting requirements from Cycle Electrics. They were great to deal with and got the system out right quick. Highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts