black frame paint?

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

tboner

what kind are you useing and where are you getting it?

My local NAPA will mix me gloss black paint and put it in a spray can as well as clear, expoxy primer I can PU off the shelf....anyone have opinions on this or suggestions. almost ready for paint and dont want probs later on.....thx

AZZKIKR CUSTOM CYCLE

Extreme Vendor
a single stage acrylic and a cheap touch up gun will do the trick .If its single stage you dont have to lay it on perfect of your dont have a good gun or if your not great at painting ,but it does give you a thickness that you could hand it to a detailer and they could wetsand and polish to a perfect show shine .Spray paint never actually fully cures and will always stay gummy and never is really glossy even with clear coat . my 2c.

AZZKIKR CUSTOM CYCLE

Extreme Vendor
i think hes looking for more of a do -it yourself solution

black base with a good clear out of a good gun in a booth is always the best if thats an option

sinthium inc

The best way I have found is PPG products. I use DPLF, BASE COAT BLACK, 2042 CLEAR. If you are going to want it to last. Single stage will work well also. Spray cans will not hold up over time.

BIG TIME BAGGER

The best way I have found is PPG products. I use DPLF, BASE COAT BLACK, 2042 CLEAR. If you are going to want it to last. Single stage will work well also. Spray cans will not hold up over time.

Do you like the 2042 for small stuff more than the new 3000 clear?

sinthium inc

DPLF is an epoxy, helps with etching into the metal before painting. Kinda like the black E COAT from Harley.

The 3000 is good speed clear, but wont have the build, shine or durability of 2042.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
DPLF is an epoxy, helps with etching into the metal before painting. Kinda like the black E COAT from Harley.

The 3000 is good speed clear, but wont have the build, shine or durability of 2042.

So that goes on before primer?

Sorry for the newbie questions but I would like to paint the neck myself on the current build.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

tboner

picked up supplies at body shop supplier.......looks like 2 stage paint with reducer and activator. the good shit aint cheap but I aint skimping on paint.
I dont want to have to do this again....I hate bodywork!

AZZKIKR CUSTOM CYCLE

Extreme Vendor
2042 is what we always use for small parts or as a mid coat clear before candies .I still like 2021 for large parts or as many parts as i can get into the booth at once it has great gloss hold out and flows really nice .Good for parts you dont want to have to wetsand or areas you need to flow out because you cant get at them with a buffer .

sinthium inc

Bill, yes and no...If you have a D.T.M.( direct to metal) primer then you can use it as a sealer prior to basecoat on top of the primer. It can be applied over bare metal, then top coated with basecoat or primer. It is best to get P sheet from the supplier for all material if you dont know correct application or mix.

Reallt comes down to how nice you want the frame to look, is there bodywork, etc....

AZZKIKR yes we use 2042 as our mid clear to bury stuff or seal kandy, 2021 for our flow coat. Great stuff.

Latest posts