Best worst tires? Opinions first hand

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Brianaddeo1

So I'm putting a 21 on my 13 SG, I plan on keeping the stock 16 for now. U can't see the damn thing anyways. I want to change my rear tire as well. But what brand I've got the stock dlops right now 7200 mi and no probs. I'm thinking pirrelli night dragons or me880s. I'd like to know what you guys are running with this setup? And is anyone running new 21 with stock dlop? It doesn't need to be replaced, just figure they should be the same? Anyone ever heard of shinko tires? Thx

jetlag

Nomad
ME880 is long wearing, and tracks well over bridge grates and tar snakes. Not hugely grippy, so if you're a canyon carver, this is not your tire, and not as good in the rain as some others.
Avon Cobra has a good mix of handling vs wear. Good in the rain, it's one of my favorites.
Dunlop E3 is my other current favorite. Fairly quiet, tracks well, no tendency to follow tar snakes, and also good in the wet. Huge upgrade vs the stock Dunlops.

I thought Shinkos were more like budget track tires. Good grip, not known to be long wearing, or hugely popular on heavier bikes. I've ridden them on sportbikes, but never tried them on a big twin.

There's no one BEST tire. A rider's analysis will be somewhat subjective (based on personal preferences), and any review needs to be considered in the context of the mission. Price vs performance vs tire life.

GlideTrain

Site Supporter
Has anyone compared prices? I was leaning towards the Avon when my stock Dunlop becomes a slick.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

slothy

Balls
I ran shinko once and barley got 3k out it had to stop at zach on my trip to swap it out. From know on Metzler or Dunlop for me if I can help it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bagged64

I had an Avon Whitewall on a Fatboy a couple years and had to change the tire same time as my oil. Maybe it was just that tire, but I'll never run Avon again.

WhiteGoldSG

I have a 21 on my roadglide with Metzler... Formerly ran Avon on my last 21 setup on my SG that is now going 26... Personally, i think the Avon was a smoother ride, but the Metz is brand new... The RG is a 2011 and i currently
Left the stock rear tire on

That being said, my SG with the 26 will be running a 16" Shinko rear because it is the lowest tire out there for a 16" rim thats not a scooter tire and skinny as hell, It is a 160/60 ZR16, but im chain drive so no fitment issues

Last edited:

Latest posts