Batwing Mount Alteration for Rake?

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

RLJ676

Has anyone thought about altering how the batwing mounts to the bike in order to angle it back forward to stock? I am thinking of this for a few reasons. I think it could look different and cool with it more up right like stock, especially if not going for a long stretched out look (I'm going 7/9 w/ min stretch). Also, I think it would obviously be less cost than a new fairing or headlight ring.

So has anyone done something like this or thought about it? I'm thinking you cut where the fairing meets the "tabs" that attach to the legs and put in angle insert there? I haven't torn into the bike to check it out yet, just thought I'd see if anyone had any experience first.

bradwulf20

that would be a tough one because the fairing brackets would have to be modified first. since they mount to your tripple trees, and the way i am thinking of it you would have to modify the cap that hold your ignition switch as that is also mounted to the upper tripple tree, then modify the lower portion of the inner fairing that covers the fairing mount brackets where they attatch to the tripple tree. it would be really neat if you did this. not trying to discourage but it would sure take some doing.

Appling Bagger

Site Supporter
I thought about it for the opposite. Make a standard fairing look raked. The inner is definatley the driver to all this since it goes along the fork legs. I think a raked fairing on a stock bike would look heaps better. I have a busted up inner I'm going to play with once I get all these dam bikes put back together. Thats JMO

88 Paladin

Different animal here. But same idea with a Memphis shades fairing on a RK. Adjustable up&Down and lean. Cool look on a stock front end.
No inner fairing though.

Kenney

ifrframes.com

RLJ676

that would be a tough one because the fairing brackets would have to be modified first. since they mount to your tripple trees, and the way i am thinking of it you would have to modify the cap that hold your ignition switch as that is also mounted to the upper tripple tree, then modify the lower portion of the inner fairing that covers the fairing mount brackets where they attatch to the tripple tree. it would be really neat if you did this. not trying to discourage but it would sure take some doing.

You're right. I hadn't thought of all the ignition stuff and cap. It is separate from the inner so at a minimum there would be a gap to fill, etc. I'll need to take it apart some to get an idea if it's feasible I guess.

RLJ676

Ignition switch problem solved, just move it and use a keyed switch or a toggle w/ push button..

Always a possibility. Also if using an aftermarket cap like Sinister's it'd probably make it easier to alter the inner mounting. By the time you've done all that though you've spent the same as the new light ring. To me buying the new light is just a waste of money, as it doesn't add any cool look, it's just to correct the angle. I wish there was a cheaper way to fix the light pointing up.....other than just not driving at night haha.

bagger specialties

One of THE 150!
this was mentioned in another post awhile back. I beleive they were saying to elongat the holes for the fairing brackets and rolling it forward. cant quite remember what was said about the ignition and lower fairing cap.

RLJ676

this was mentioned in another post awhile back. I beleive they were saying to elongat the holes for the fairing brackets and rolling it forward. cant quite remember what was said about the ignition and lower fairing cap.

Thanks, that makes sense, kind of like just adjusting a front fender for a 21.

Looks like Kewlmetal has a light adapter that's $200, which is better than 350 for hhi but still a lot for something that does nothing for me.

Rozkopeeko

I had my SG raked/stretched for a 26 and my guy is saying a raked fairing is not really needed, so this week I will post the results and looks of the outcome... 600-700 bucks for a raked fairing is definitely not in the budget !!

RLJ676

I had my SG raked/stretched for a 26 and my guy is saying a raked fairing is not really needed, so this week I will post the results and looks of the outcome... 600-700 bucks for a raked fairing is definitely not in the budget !!

Right, but the light points way up. I rarely ride at night anyways it seems haha, could just live w/ it.

Rozkopeeko

Yeah that was a concern of mine however he said its a matter of messing with the brackets/mounting points with the light??? We will see!!! Lolololol

RLJ676

Yeah that was a concern of mine however he said its a matter of messing with the brackets/mounting points with the light??? We will see!!! Lolololol

Cool, let me know what he comes up with. Sure seems there'd be an option other than dropping 200 or 350 on a new light ring haha.

Latest posts