Ballastic 636 Fairing Install

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

slothy

Balls
kinda randomly took pics, was trying to get shit done. I'm not saying this is the best way of doing it, there maybe other ways that work and are better/easier - but this is what we figured out on our own to work. We used about 1 1/2 tubes of the fusor 152 - shane at afk said he uses some 3m adhesive for fiberglass to plastics (abs/ppo) - hopefully he can chime in on product name/number. this fairing is a 1:1 of the oem outer - not a true "overlay"

step 1 - Trim oem outer fairing to fit inside of the Ballistic one - lots of cutting/fitting in this step - i personally wanted to have a upper and a lower section of the oem outer, prob woulda fit more snug, but painter didn't want to cut things in half. we trimed about 1-1.5" off the overlay edges to feather the parts when it comes to the body work and not have a "thick" edge on outer and also cut off where the windshield mounts on the overlay and using the oem holes/locations - seemed to hang on it.

step 2 - Bolt outer inner fairing to outer fairing and make sure the overlay fits well - we has some trimming to do in this step.

step 3 - confirm everything fits nice and tight

step 4 - remove inner fairing sand the shit outa outside of the oem and the inside of the overlay fairing to prep for glue Note: - we taped edges of inner fairing so no glue would get on it while it oozed out

step 5 - Bolt inner fairing back on and make sure everything is good, we used self taping screws to "clamp" the fairing along the edges and bottom (used about 8 screws) - drilled a clearance hole on the fiberglass and let the screw tap into the plastic.

step 6 - see step 3

step 7 - remove screws and remove the overlay, Wipe everything that's going to be glued with iso alcohol, spray the oem outer fairing with fusor 602ez plastic prep (not sure if this is needed, but its a adhesive promoter for plastics for adhesives) - wait for it to dry - took about 2 mins for us its was under 70 degrees out when we did it.

step 8 - Using fusor 152 adhesive apply a shit ton of glue everywhere on the outside of the oem fairing (some places the outer doesn't touch the fiberglass - well fill those voids later) - 3-5 working time so you have some time, but not alot.

step 8 - Quickly put 636 fairing back on align the holes you made with the screws, put all screws in and tight em them up to clamp parts together. - tripple check everything - one glue sets the overlay is going to be permanent bonded to the oem outer.

step 9 - cross fingers

step 10 - let it sit overnight before removing the screws - could prob handle it in a hour, but was end of night for us, so we let it sit overnight

step 11 - we used more fusor 152 to seal edges and fill any gaps on the inside between the 2 parts, not sure if we are going to fiberglass the edges inside to give it a finished look inside or not.

step 12 - We haven't done it yet - but you need to fabricate a support bar for the outer fairing (it will rest on the little fingers on the radio bracket) - we are thinking of using a u shaped piece of pipe 1/2" OD that gets glued to the topside of the inside of the outer fairing.

step 13 - body work / paint

and here are the random pics i do have.. next time im over there ill get one of it all glued up, thought i had one.

Attachments

• 2012-05-10_20-20-25_803.jpg
    2012-05-10_20-20-25_803.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 911
  • 2012-05-14_19-46-02_883.jpg
    2012-05-14_19-46-02_883.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 925
  • 2012-05-14_20-16-22_481.jpg
    2012-05-14_20-16-22_481.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 925
  • 2012-05-17_20-29-06_648.jpg
    2012-05-17_20-29-06_648.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 910
Last edited:

FSTBGR

am I retarded or am I not understanding what's going on? It looks like two pretty much full fairings, one stock black and one new one that is white. Did you just cut a piece out of the black stock fairing and just cut the other one to fit in that hole? Either way I want to see this finished....

slothy

Balls
am I retarded or am I not understanding what's going on? It looks like two pretty much full fairings, one stock black and one new one that is white. Did you just cut a piece out of the black stock fairing and just cut the other one to fit in that hole? Either way I want to see this finished....

no you're not lol, i just failed to take pictures of every step since i was trying to get the shit done.

808Bagger

Not yet, but I was looking at my friends RG yesterday. I don't want to run a crash bar, I was looking at the support brackets connected with the blinkers? Definitely was gonna get Shane's rake fairing bracket for the front...

slothy

Balls
little more work done...primer pics coming soon

Latest posts