Bagger Stereo ideas

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

PistonPuller

One of THE 150!
OK so out and about today with the bike. I decided to stop at a couple different shops to see what can be done about beefing up the sounds system. Currently I am running Sony head unit with Rockfords pbr300x4 with 6.5 Focals in the fairing. I want to add some sounds to the bags. Here are 2 ideas form 2 different shops

Shop 1
Wants to build a custom enclosure out of fiberglass into the bags and port it out of the side. Basically making the bags the enclosure. In that enclosure they want to place 2 JL 6" subs in each bag. Total of 4 JL's 6" subs. I would run the 6" subs off the pbr300x4 and then add a pbr300x2 to run the Focals up front. These guys admit they never done a a Harley like that before. They been around over 20 years and done some bad ass car installs. They did mine back in the day. Nobody up here with Harley's are into the stereos as much.

Shop 2
Again want to do the fiberglass enclosure only this one wants to mount 1 6" shallow mount kicker sub in each bag. Also they want to run the speaker lids with a 6x9. So each bag would have a 6" sub and a 6x9. They want me to dump the Fosgate amp and replace it with a Phoenix gold 5 channel 800 watt amp. This amp would need to be mounted in one of the bags. Now the installer who I was talking to said he has done a lot of Harley's when living in CA. He says they always put 6x9's in the bags. My only concern is would the 6x9's and the 6" sub be fighting each other?

Anyway what are your thoughts?

thecort

I'm looking to do something similiar. I currently have 6x9's in the lids & I want to add 6" or 8" subs. I have one shop (they have never heard of Arc Audio) telling me the speakers will be fighting eachother & I have two other shops (both recommending Arc Audio) saying it shouldn't be a problem.
So I'm thinking that it probably won't be a problem. Not 100% sure.

808Bagger

I'm looking to do something similiar. I currently have 6x9's in the lids & I want to add 6" or 8" subs. I have one shop (they have never heard of Arc Audio) telling me the speakers will be fighting eachother & I have two other shops (both recommending Arc Audio) saying it shouldn't be a problem.
So I'm thinking that it probably won't be a problem. Not 100% sure.

Bro! Quick question, are you running a marine deck? How important is it to run marine, if it's not, I'm guessing people have face covers? Shopping also for stereo..I'm clueless

Bill

I used to own some shit!
I don't know jack about it but we do have a couple Extreme Vendors and Vendors who do TONS of audio work.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

thecort

Bro! Quick question, are you running a marine deck? How important is it to run marine, if it's not, I'm guessing people have face covers? Shopping also for stereo..I'm clueless

Whats up bro!
I'm running a Sony bluetooth head unit. It's not a marine unit. I have a splash cover for it. I've had the bike out in pouring rain for hours & haven't had any issues.

Tap it!

Opunui

808 I am running the pioneer deh 7200 hd..with splash cover also. I believe the stock radio compresses the sound versus after market..not sure just my uneducated guess.

dbell66253

One of THE 150!
I've seen several different ways to do a build, I'd be skeptical of a shop who has never heard of ARC, it's not like they just came on the scene. Anyway I guess it depends on how much space you are willing to give, but I have seen the subs and 6x9 in the same bag with good sound, though I must admit the best sound I ever heard from a bike came from one with a sub in the chopped tour pack, 4 speakers in the bags and another 4 in the fairing, (road glide).

bradwulf20

my advice first would be if willing to add lower fairings (leg warmers) with another pair of 6.5s in them. push all 4 with an arc audio 2 channel amp that you can mount in the fairing because you will get more bang for your buck doing any upgrades in front of you. and if that is not enough add some lids with speakers wether it be the cycle sounds lids with 6x9s or fairing factory lids with two 6.5s in each lid, in that case go with the arc audio 4 channel amp wich can also be mounted in the fairing. either way you dont lose any bag space. just my .02. we have tried about every possible combination out there and have found this works the best.

PistonPuller

One of THE 150!
Bag space inst an issue for me as I was going to do these on a second set of bags. I have another set if I need to take a trip. Yeah the second shop recommending the 6x9 and 6" seemed to be the most knowledgeable when it came to bikes. However I was hoping to keep the one amp I have and just add a small second one. I wonder how the pbr300x4 would sound if I ran that to a set of 6x9's and a set of 6" in the bags? It puts out 85 watts per channel. Then I would get another pbr300 only get the 2 channel and run the Focals up front. I thought about the lowers idea, but I dont like the look myself. Same goes for the tour pack. I have also heard some slamming sounds from them, but I cant get into the looks. I did notice with both shops that their eyes lit up at the change to do something different in this area.

bradwulf20

you could just do a set of lids with either 6.5s or 6x9s. my personal opinion is the subs in the bags dont add enough to make it worth the money you are going to spend especially at any speed over 40 mph

yardsale

Up in da one fiddy...
Qualifying statement - Just an observation - no opinion one way or the other.

In a previous career/life, I sold hi-end audio for 8 years - hi-end meaning $65,000 for a pair of speakers, pre-amp, 4-amplifiers and $6,000 for 24' of speaker wire. That said, you have to ask yourself what kind of sound are you going to expect when you are in an open-air environment, 80 mph wind, and straight pipes? Its hard enough in a controlled environment with placement, damping, and volumetric options.

Option 1: If you want fidelity and volume for yourself - invest in a set of studio-quality ear plugs like Dave Grohl wears on stage (Etymotic ER-4PT).

Options 2: If you are trying to impress everybody else, dedicate the bags to subs and power. If you are going to use mids/tweets in the bags also, isolate the sub compartments and make the speaker/volume ratio as big as possible. Mids and tweets carry farther - bass (and power) are the challenge. Ported cabinets significantly increase efficiency if you have enough cu ft.

the bag liners are awesome!~ sorry, off topic! Pete from Soundz and I have been talking, I am looking for the balance between clarity at speed and sound around my buddies. He is suggesting the Focals, Arc amp and changing out my head unit. Setting the appointment with him in MB in May for the install!
View attachment 3237

This is what inside my friends bags along with an Alpine pdx 4.150 amp

Classic$98

One of THE 150!

If I was doing again, I would get a marine grade. Not so much for being waterproof but the reflection off the screen. They are easier to see and read the screen in direct sunlight. I also ruined a deck in sturgis. Crazy storm, took off the face cause I thought it would get wrecked. Stupid me, it just drank a ton of water through the cd opening......never worked the same after that. Biketronics sells a dark cover that I bought that is pretty slick. Just don't forget to cover up the deck when you are washing it! You are more likely to ruin the non marine deck on your own by accident that just getting caught out in the rain.

Latest posts