Bag hinges or lid actuators, who make 'em?

Gary H.

One of THE 150!
I can't see any way they'd lay out flat like they do with the factory setup, but you should have full access to the bag with the lid sticking up at a 90 degree angle (or possibly slightly more).

motrhd

Both Marc and bruce burce are correct, my hinges are not mocked up yet, I obviously have some glass work to do yet. The bike in the pic I believe is called "Orange Juice" and
how I came to contact California Baggers through Shane at A F Customs. I may have have to call for the verbal instructions again when I am ready, I just gave you the general idea
of how they work, and they do work. It may be a week or two before I can get back at it, I will have to be nurse to the wife, she had a new knee installed today.
I wouldn't want a 6'3" 300lb nurse with a mustache..............LOL

ChoppedRoadie

Site Supporter
Both Marc and bruce burce are correct, my hinges are not mocked up yet, I obviously have some glass work to do yet. The bike in the pic I believe is called "Orange Juice" and
how I came to contact California Baggers through Shane at A F Customs. I may have have to call for the verbal instructions again when I am ready, I just gave you the general idea
of how they work, and they do work. It may be a week or two before I can get back at it, I will have to be nurse to the wife, she had a new knee installed today.
I wouldn't want a 6'3" 300lb nurse with a mustache..............LOL
How's the wifey doin? Hope she is recovering well.
Keep us updated on your bag progress. I'm getting ready to start working on a new set of bags & lids and would really like to rid them of tradional latches. Hoping you get this figured out before I start mine.
Anyways, best wishes for a quick recovery for your wife and have a great Christmas!

motrhd

How's the wifey doin? Hope she is recovering well.
Keep us updated on your bag progress. I'm getting ready to start working on a new set of bags & lids and would really like to rid them of tradional latches. Hoping you get this figured out before I start mine.
Anyways, best wishes for a quick recovery for your wife and have a great Christmas!
She's doing great, thanks for asking. I hope to start making some progress on my build in the next two weeks, I'm off work after tomorrow until next year. I decided that I'm going with latches and release buttons from the RK custom bags rather than actuators for now, for the sake of simplicity and space. Will keep you posted. For those that don't know, the RK custom bags use a push button release on the back side of the bags, they use a cable that runs to the latch release.

ChoppedRoadie

Site Supporter
That's exactly what I plan to do if I go forward with this. I can't afford to lose space by taking up room with acuators. Keep us posted big guy. My black death bags should be here next week. Glad to hear she is recovering fine. Later.

DAPERFORMANCE

Extreme Vendor
The only problem i see with all these designs, if u have a big system or 8"s in bags theres no way these designs will clamp and seal lid to bag tightly with out air leaks, LIKE THE FACTORY DESIGN... U would lose all ur bass. If u run speakers in bags

motrhd

The only problem i see with all these designs, if u have a big system or 8"s in bags theres no way these designs will clamp and seal lid to bag tightly with out air leaks, LIKE THE FACTORY DESIGN... U would lose all ur bass. If u run speakers in bags
That's not the case with the RK custom latches on the opposite side of the lid, the seal height is set on the hinge side during hinge install and latches will seal the other side.

motrhd

Well I finally got one bag roughed in and hinge glued in with 3M 5200, I will still be glassing over the hinge. I cut out the original latch recess and reglassed it and smoothed out the latch recess area on the lid as well. The body work is only roughed in, no body filler, just fiberglass, but this will give the general idea and the hinge works great!003.jpg004.jpg001.jpg002.jpg

motrhd

Yep, she's doing great, thanks for asking. She parked the walker last week and walking better than she has in a long time. Now I have to get my scoot done or she'll be riding without me! LOL

I figure the other bag should go a little faster.....I hope!

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
That's not the case with the RK custom latches on the opposite side of the lid, the seal height is set on the hinge side during hinge install and latches will seal the other side.
Use a 50#+ actuator...

Thanks for being a part of our wonderful community!!
Roll Low n FAST!
www.choppedbaggers.com
http://www.shop.choppedbaggers.com/
Get your Chopped Bagger Swag!
Venders Contact ME?
Chopped Baggers the only way to ROLL!

motrhd

I'm going to use either the RK custom latch set up or a real simple cam lock latch on the back side, I don't want to give up bag space to an actuator.
And before you say it Marc............I'm not gonna pull a trailer,LOL.

Gary H.

One of THE 150!
those look like they will work well. Unfortunately, I'm not sure they would work with a tour pack which I'm wanting to run a Razor pack on mine. They look like they would work well with an actuator by simply installing an arm on the radius curve of the hinge. What happens if the actuator goes out? How do you get the lid open? LOL

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
that looks like it'll work well Marc. What happens if you have to go over a speed bump?
The answer is in your question? Lol.. You go over it... I have plenty of times, now there are some that are more like a kitchen table that'll hang up a truck.. Lol..

Thanks for being a part of our wonderful community!!
Roll Low n FAST!
www.choppedbaggers.com
http://www.shop.choppedbaggers.com/
Get your Chopped Bagger Swag!
Venders Contact ME?
Chopped Baggers the only way to ROLL!

Gary H.

One of THE 150!
it just looks like that frame rail is so low, it's get hung up way too much. Guess you can't tell much from that pic, but the back tire looks like it sits back about 6'-7'. I'm always dragging the trailer tongue behind my pickup when I go through dips! just a little uncomfortable doing it on 2 wheels I guess.

Latest posts