Bag hinges or lid actuators, who make 'em?

motrhd

They are mounted to the upper outer edge of the bag and to the lid, I plan on using the adhesive that Marc talked about, and then fiberglassing over them. Out of great respect for Bill and everyone here I won't post up contact info as they are not a vendor here, If you want contact info PM me. I plan on using street rod actuators made by Autoloc and they can be found on Ebay.

One strap mounts to the upper outside edge of the bag and one strap mounts to the lid, makes no difference how wide your bags are. One hinge is shown open and one is in closed position. The lid flips to the outside of the bag. I will also be posting my mounting pics on my build thread as I go,it's snowing here so that means build time!

Last edited:

ChoppedRoadie

Site Supporter
I must have taken a stupid pill today or something. When you have time, could you post a picture holding these hinges in their approximate installed position? What part of MI are you? I used to live in Reed City, north of Grand Rapids. I can tell you, I don't miss the winters.

motrhd

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow, with a bag, I'm about ready to start installing anyway. I'm on the north side of Muskegon.

motrhd

Note that bags need to be modded for these hinges, these are custom so they will require fitment, they are 14 inches long.

motrhd

Here is a pic while I was holding the lid in the open position. I took a rough measurement and a 2 inch actuator should be more than enough.

Attachments

motrhd

Just a little note, I think that Cal Baggers makes these for their builds, but they will sell them, and they are CUSTOM not a bolt on and go.
I still have not decided totally on actuators or I might use a hidden latch similar to my stock RK Custom bags. Maybe actuators with switches,
and no remote, wouldn't want them to open up while riding......LOL

Last edited:

Gary H.

One of THE 150!
Looks like you have it sitting on the lid lip. Wouldn't that go on the outside of the bag? Might want to try some double sided tape to make sure they actually close right before you go much further. Might have to mod the lid some and mount them higher to get them to work. Very interested to see if these can be made to work. Looks like our bags are very close to made the same.

ChoppedRoadie

Site Supporter
Looks like you have it sitting on the lid lip. Wouldn't that go on the outside of the bag? Might want to try some double sided tape to make sure they actually close right before you go much further. Might have to mod the lid some and mount them higher to get them to work. Very interested to see if these can be made to work. Looks like our bags are very close to made the same.
I really don't see how they could go on the outside and work and yet, I agree I dont't think they can mount to the lid where they are currently mocked up and still allow gasket installation. Looks like they would be difficult to locate blindly and still get the lid to fit snug and tight on the gasket. Guess we'll have to wait & see. Glad to see someone doing this though before I start mine. Get it worked out and let me know how to do it the asy way! Thanks for starting this project.

Gary H.

One of THE 150!
I really don't see how they could go on the outside and work and yet, I agree I dont't think they can mount to the lid where they are currently mocked up
I didn't mean the hinge would go outside. It looks like in it's current location, the lid would not seal, leaving it sitting proud, and "outside" of where it would need to be. It looks like if there is a flat part up on the next contour, it may fit there and allow for it to close correctly with a different mounting position for the lower portion.

Latest posts