Bag hinges or lid actuators, who make 'em?

Gary H.

One of THE 150!
Ive seen the speed by design electric hinges, but I'd like an actuator that hinges the bags out rather than forward or backward, like a factory bike. The only reason is I'd like to do a razor tour pack on mine and I don't think the Speedbydesign ones will work with a pack. Or, am I wrong and the forward opening electric hinges work with a tour pack? I'm not worried about them taking up the extra space, because my bags are HUGE!

Are there any other choices out there for them?

Zach

Site Supporter
AF Kustoms showed a pic of some on the bike that got stolen. I think it may have been posted on HDF. I'll see if I can find it.

Zach

Gary H.

One of THE 150!
Compared to stock? You're kidding right?

Zach
Not kidding. Actually, the stock design is pretty sturdy. Nylon doesn't wear out and the actual hinge doesn't really support the weight of the lid. These look like they came off an old plano tacklebox, and I've had my share of mishaps with them.

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
I'm making a billet hinge for the front. But pretty sure you could build a single billet hinge for side center placement. And not clutter the front and rear of the bag.

Hinge design is important, I'll post pics as soon as I build them. But it's gonna be nov before I start that, still collecting my parts. If that's to long for you I'll try to make some te to work it out for a side mount.

I'll be mounting them with 3M 5200, no screws, bolts or rivets. This is a sure thing.

Gary H.

One of THE 150!
I was hoping to get rid of the bag latches and glass in some metal pieces to hold the bolts since these are one/of bags. I don't want to just glue anything. With a wife and kids and with this being a rider, it's going to take some abuse unless their mechanical. Which I'm hoping for. I almost ordered the ones from SpeedByDesign, but as a sideways mount, that'd eat up the usable entry space into the bag too much I'd think because your'd pretty much have to mount them in the middle of the bag. It wouldn't bother me to have them mounted front and back like that with an actuating motor on one end, but it would need to be sturdy enough to stop binding when their opening.

Last edited:

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
3M 5200 is as strong on a 1"x1" as 2- 1/4-20 bolts.. It's way stronger than the fglass bags.. It'd tare a hole in the bags before it broke the adhesive..

But if you want to use bolts thats cool.

I'll study it today and draw something up that you can use to fabricate.

jrbonniwell

Site Supporter
Marc your right... I use 5200 on marine applications all the time and I can tell you that the fiberglass gives long before the adhesive does!...

Gary H.

One of THE 150!
I've got to figure out the hinge/actuator before I worry about mounting. I'm on fence and chicken coop duty today. OL has decided she wants chickys. I figure she lets me do the bike, why not

Last edited:

motrhd

Marc, this is the thread I was talking about, and I don't think that they are aluminum, because he said that they are lazer cut.

ChoppedRoadie

Site Supporter
I'm making a billet hinge for the front. But pretty sure you could build a single billet hinge for side center placement. And not clutter the front and rear of the bag.

Hinge design is important, I'll post pics as soon as I build them. But it's gonna be nov before I start that, still collecting my parts. If that's to long for you I'll try to make some te to work it out for a side mount.

I'll be mounting them with 3M 5200, no screws, bolts or rivets. This is a sure thing.
Hey Marc. Gotten any furthet with this project? I'm looking to go latchless this winter and am interested in any/all ideas and options. Thanks.

motrhd

I got my hidden hinges from California Baggers, they changed their design to only two pieces, all steel, lazer cut. These take up very little space and look like they will work
real well with actuators, I'll post pics asap, not installed yet. They were $40 per pair plus shipping, even add $149 for actuators and it's still cheaper than stock type
hinge/latches, not to mention stronger and cleaner. I also have contact info if anyone wants.

Latest posts