Bad Dad Saddlebags and Fender Install... Need some help.

PapaKonkel

Fellas,

Last night I was trying to install my freshly painted fender and bags, and I ran into some trouble. This is my first time installing extended bags, and fenders so please forgive me if the solution is a simple one that I just overlooked.

I put FLHX saddlebag supports on my 97 Road king. When I went to put the bags and fender on, I found there was no room between the bags for the fender to fit. I was expecting about a 1/4 inch gap, but found about 1/4 inch of overlap on each side. Is there something I'm missing here? Could the flhx supports have a different bag mounting point than the stock supports? They appeared the same when compared next to each other. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pops

PapaKonkel

Did an investigation this morning and the supports are definately ok for my bike. I just can't figure out how to get a little more room between the bags.

PapaKonkel

Ok. Will try that. Does anyone know if there are supposed to be washers/spacers between the fender struts and the fender? It seems like my fender struts are being pulled in when I tighten my fender bolts. I looked on parts table, and it doesnt look like I missed anything but it is possible. Perhaps the last owner took them off?

Bill

I used to own some shit!
I think you'll just have to adjust the supports using washers and stretched holes to get things to work.

The parts book is excellent so if there are no washers shown they probably don't exist. It's pretty normal for the fender to pull on the struts a little.

This is a great example of why you should ALWAYS test for body parts prior to painting.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

CHAINSAW

Site Supporter Until The World Stops Spinning!
Like bagger specialties said,.. put some washers behind them support to where it bolts to the frame. You can space it out that way because you don't want them rubbing.

Opunui

There's two bolts on your lower support bar. Make sure you extend them all the way out.it is usually never the uppers,more so the lowers

Latest posts