Arnott Aldan vs Legend Air Ride

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

NHBAGGER

Site Supporter
Looking for more feedback for both. Have read a lot of threads but still have questions. Anyone know what length a 12" Aldan would be at say 40 pounds? Would it be fully extended? Same question for Legends. Also, Nova66 felt that Legends should be run fully extended, although the website talks about various heights?

ChoppedRoadie

Site Supporter
My 12" Aldens @ 40 lbs are fully extended and with the dampening set at two clicks from soft they ride smooth as can be. These can be ridden with less pressure, thus lower, and still ride smooth. Aldens is all that I have bought - seven pairs now.

NHBAGGER

Site Supporter
My 12" Aldens @ 40 lbs are fully extended and with the dampening set at two clicks from soft they ride smooth as can be. These can be ridden with less pressure, thus lower, and still ride smooth. Aldens is all that I have bought - seven pairs now.

Thanks. I normally ride 2 up at about 310 pounds (40 to 50 more on a trip) and from what I have read, it sounds like around 40 would be the setting. I just know I like the height at 12 or less.

Puzzled

Staff member

Personal question here, what do you weigh? I ask as I have found the Aldan's to be harsh on the softest setting with anyone under 185/190 pounds.

I just shelved mine as the lack of travel and ride was beating me up.

ChoppedRoadie

Site Supporter
I just purchased my 7th set of Aldens in the past 6 years. I use the 12" (11.6), I'm 190 lbs, my baggers are solo built, I run 37-45 lbs air and I set my dampening either 1-2 turns from soft, typically 1-turn. My bikes ride like I'm on a pillow. I have never bottomed out, had any rebound kick back and my bikes handle perfectly. I broke my back in a MC accident a number of years ago and suffer today from advanced spinal stenosis yet the Aldens provide me, time after time, with the smoothest ride of any shock that I have used. I have however, never tried the Legends on a bagger to compare. I've used Legends on a couple of softail builds years back and at that time they were the best air ride available. Either shock, in my mind, are the best of available manufactured air ride systems with the Aldens having an edge due to the adjustable rebound dampening.

NHBAGGER, heck, you should just make Puzzled an offer on his shelved Aldens. If ya don't like them you won't have much invested and you can post them in the classified section. These shocks will resell quick.

Last edited:

Ferro

Site Supporter
I was having a hard time deciding between Aldens & Legends as well. I decided to go with the Aldens because I've heard several good reviews about them. Plus the price is right. Your going to hear good & bad on both. What one person calls a smooth ride another calls it a rough ride. No 2 asses are the same LOL what I like about the Aldens the shock is 11 1/2 " so it will take me down another 1/2" either way they have to be better then stock. Trust me I'll put up a review once their installed. Get with Chopped Roadie He will give you the low down on the Alden's.

Last edited:

ChoppedRoadie

Site Supporter
You're right Chip, opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. I think you will be suprisingly pleased with the Aldens and like you said, it's gonna ride better than stock. Alot better than stock!

NHBAGGER

Site Supporter
I actually called Legends and Arnotts and talked to them. Legends says their setup should be run at full extension for the best performance. Not sure I understand running that way. Aldans on the other hand are to be run in the middle which makes perfect sense to me and is probably the way I'll go.
I'll bet Puzzleds setup is for a newer bike whereas mine is an 01 FLHTC. Shocks might work but not the rest of the kit....right?
By the way Chopped, I should have bought the ones you had but I wasn't sure at the time, what a dope!

Nova606

One of THE 150!
Just an FYI, legends will be out with a new shock this fall. Will be 13" in fully extended position. It will have unlimited settings under. The shock will have and adjustable rebound wheel underneath.... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376093952.482319.jpg I talked with legends at Sturgis... If you have their shocks already there will be a ~$400 swap to the newer design...