Anyone regret going to aftermarket radio and ditching the HK?

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

smooothone23

I do not like the smaller size of the single din and having to put in a trim ring around it in the fairing to fit. That is why I have kept it this long. Has anyone regretted going to an aftermarket stereo and what did you do with the trim piece around it.
I saw the Medallion stuff and it is not real eye appealing to me...

Thoughts?

Zach

Site Supporter
I went to a Sony DSX-S100 w/ iPod tray.

I regret it only in that I've got a problem I can't track down. The volume has a mind of its' own and a lot of times the display will freeze or just go blank. A few times the song has skipped to the next track. I think it's a problem with the Biketronics unit more than with the stereo. Probably need to send it in.

The HK stuff is pretty solid, just doesn't sound as good. I'm with you on the trim ring.

That said, I love that my iPod is always charged and out of sight.

SUAVE

I went to a Sony DSX-S100 w/ iPod tray.

I regret it only in that I've got a problem I can't track down. The volume has a mind of its' own and a lot of times the display will freeze or just go blank. A few times the song has skipped to the next track. I think it's a problem with the Biketronics unit more than with the stereo. Probably need to send it in.

The HK stuff is pretty solid, just doesn't sound as good. I'm with you on the trim ring.

That said, I love that my iPod is always charged and out of sight.

I've had the same problems! I thought it was just me.

Zach

Site Supporter
Really. I'm going to take the biketronics module out of the loop and see if it still acts up. If it does, I've probably got a ground problem. If it's ok, I'll send the module to biketronics, they have a lifetime warranty. Just have to make the time to take the fairing off again.

Zach

DAPERFORMANCE

Extreme Vendor
The hawg wired billet radio bezel looks way better

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349291124508.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349291124508.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 280

Baddd bagger

Moderator and Buddy.
I just changed out my stock unit cause it died and so far love the change and I don't mind not having the chrome trim piece around it, it actually looks a little better

Ride it like you stole it!

dbell66253

One of THE 150!
The only thing I miss about my stock radio is the weather band, which I didn't use much anyway, and I have to admit the display was a bit easier to read, other than that, the unit I have, (Sony 740) is much better. It sounds better, has many more controls, can play CDs, MP3, and also has a USB input, the only time I'll be putting the other unit back in is if I decide to get rid of my bike, and that shouldn't be anytime soon. BTW I went with the Hawgwired kit.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Love my Medallion!

If you don't like the chrome or black faceplate they can be painted to match.

Soundz is a dealer...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

smooothone23

so besides the headunit, what else do I need to buy to use the hand controls?

is Sony the only ones that have the ipod storage inside of it?

Dirt_Guy

I love my sony headunit. I'm kinda undecided about the Biketronics trim piece. I'm thinking I might get the plastic welder out and attach the trim piece to the fairing this winter. Then when i paint the inner fairing it will all be one seamless piece.

Zach

Site Supporter
Does anyone think a Samsung S3 will fit into that Ipod opening? or is it just for IPods?

iPhone fits into the tray. Not sure how big the Samsung is. Also not sure if they supply a connector for the Samsung or not. If you want to measure your phone I can measure my tray tonight and post back.

Zach

Dirt_Guy

Does anyone think a Samsung S3 will fit into that Ipod opening? or is it just for IPods?

It is a bit taller at 5.38 inches so I don't know for sure. I can measure the depth when I get home. They don't recommend placing a phone in the tray if you plan to stream bluetooth because it can affect your signal strength. If you're playing tunes that you've loaded on your phone it will work (as long as it fits).

Dirt_Guy

Until Apple makes Lightning adapters available, it doesn't matter if an iPhone 5 will fit. LOL

Zach

Very true. I heard that the iPhone 4 fit in the Tune Tray but didn't interface well with the controls. One more benefit of the Bluetooth version.

bradwulf20

love my medalion head unit also. the ipod cord and aux. cord and a usb cord ran into the saddle bag. easy access and sealed from the elements. and you dont need any aditional parts to use the hand controls. plug and play. plus it has no moving parts to fail. just my .02

Latest posts