Another Raked Triple tree thread...

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Chops603

One of THE 150!
So I have a 2004 FLHTP and am looking to throw a 23'' wheel on the front. Yes, I could do a 26'' wheel, cut the frame neck and go that route. I honestly do not wish to go with that big of a wheel. With that said, I am looking for pro's and cons to each set up...

My bike being a 2004 has the damper rod set up, I have added heavier fork oil and progressive's lowering kit.

HHI 7* Trees:

What size extenders would I need, if needed?
Will I need to make adjustments to headlight angle?

Pickards set up?

Trike trees?

I am obviously not looking to destroy my R & T #'s here. Any input is welcome.

fame2

One of THE 150!
I decided to go with Pickards set up on my 07' Road King with a 23". A guy around here has the HHI 7...he likes the ride but he said it gets a little twitchy above 85...he's gonna cut the neck now. There's a thread about using the trike trees and sounds like that might be another good option...but i like the fact that Pickard gaurenteed no wobble and Jevon has been real helpful.

NHBAGGER

Site Supporter
If it were me I would go with the Pickard. He is a site vendor and always on here trying to help. You might even still be able to jump into the group buy.

DMC

Site Supporter
I use the +9 deg HHI trees. It feels a little loose when I get over 75-ish. No problems yet though. My trees came with the 2 inch extensions. I would use some heavier fork oil, or you'll get a dent like me.

I too, am going with a 26 now...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Chops603

One of THE 150!
I decided to go with Pickards set up on my 07' Road King with a 23". A guy around here has the HHI 7...he likes the ride but he said it gets a little twitchy above 85...he's gonna cut the neck now. There's a thread about using the trike trees and sounds like that might be another good option...but i like the fact that Pickard gaurenteed no wobble and Jevon has been real helpful.

So how is your ride?
85MPH+ would not apply to me, If I go on the highway I do not drive that fast.

If it were me I would go with the Pickard. He is a site vendor and always on here trying to help. You might even still be able to jump into the group buy.

No offense, but I am looking for input from people that are running trees that can give me first hand info. Everyone claims their kit works, but I hear plenty of other things from riders themselves.

I use the +9 deg HHI trees. It feels a little loose when I get over 75-ish. No problems yet though. My trees came with the 2 inch extensions. I would use some heavier fork oil, or you'll get a dent like me.

I too, am going with a 26 now...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I stated above in bold that I already have heavier fork oil present. I am no expert here, but as stated above about the guy that runs the 7*HHI trees feels it at around 85+... He probably gets the smooth driving the extra 10mph because with the 7* tree his trail # is closer to stock. Are you running a lowering kit in your front end?

I think I will just call Mark up at HHI and have a chat with him

Last edited:

slothy

Balls
basically you place them on the bottom of the inside of the fork and it reduces the travel some - just enough so that the fender cant physically hit anythhing

Chops603

One of THE 150!
Is this common that they hit when using the correct spacer size on top though? Not trying to be a nag, just genuinely wish to know for my own good. Nobody has really said anything about the tri glide trees... Nobody has input on that set up? This bike will never get a larger wheel then 23'' I am just trying to figure out the most cost efficient way to get a little rake out front to get my some room, not kill the ride too much at the same time.

slothy

Balls
the spacers you will prob need will be under .375 of a inch - which i doubt you will notice riding

on my 26 setup - running 5/16" reducer, 1.5" lowering damper rod, SE Fork Oil and +1 hhi adapters and it rides ok, last year with out the lowering kit it rode awesome, but with the 636 fairing i had to chose form over function some lol..

Chops603

One of THE 150!
The only reason I don't care to take my fork apart again is because it has the damper rod system in it. I opted to bring my forks to harley when I had to refill them with oil. I don't even think they put the right amount, plus the small screw on the bottom was loose. Small puddle of fork oil was on the ground in the morning, didn't notice until then. Morons

Chops603

One of THE 150!
I'm also trying to figure out some #'s here... Why do I keep getting extremely low trail numbers???

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

I put 23'' for front tire
rake 26
triple clamp -2.455
fork length 27.75 (This may be why??) Do the spacers change this #??
Triple tree rake: What should I be putting here?? Stock is 5, do I add 7 or 9? Or Will the new total be 7 or 9?

My head hurts

Chops603

One of THE 150!
gota love dealers..

prob convert to the new style inners cheap

Ya, that was a thought. Then I get to buy new tube or possibly both tubes, kind of thinking I only need to replace the damper side. Then a new lowering kit, as the one for non damper style tubes are different.

Upside cutting the morons out at the dealer, man I hated having to go there. They probably didn't even fill them correctly. I'll never know

Chops603

One of THE 150!
Do the pickard trees just keep the rake and trail numbers the closest to stock? I'm trying to figure out what makes them better than he HHI trees. Is it only the 7 degree vs the 6 degree?

pickardbaggerparts

Extreme Vendor
Replied to your PM... Anyways, our trees LENGTHEN your trail because we reconfigured the whole geometry and offset of the trees, where as the other trees on the market only changed the rake. When you change the rake only, you will shorten your trail, which affects your higher speed stability. Like the member said, it felt light and twitchy above 85mph. That is an indication of a shorter trail number... Our trees were designed from beginning to bolt onto your stock neck and INCREASE your trail back to stock. Our trail is set at about 6.4ish, which is damn near stock. You can also run a 1in lowering kit with our extended fork stops and still have 3in of clearance between your fender and lower tree. Call me at the shop if you have any more questions. 972-231-1298. I can answer any concerns you might have. Also, we are the only tree mfg that will offer a 100% wobble free guarantee. No one else will stand behind their trees like we do. We've done our homework and they work. Check out this video and it should answer your concerns...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHY9vGBUzJA&feature=plcp

Thanks

Jevon

TNTCC

Site Supporter
+1 Pickard trees. No wobble and great handling as well as being a bolt on that doesn't ad stretch to the frame keeping things nice and tucked.

Latest posts