another rake question

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

DMC

Site Supporter
I've done a lot of searching on this site and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking to cut my neck this fall and I'm looking for a step-by-step of the process on the 2008 and earlier bikes. I've read several times that it's easy, but I'd like to see just how easy it is. Is it just a simple cut and weld on a new neck block? Are there any alignment procedures? I would be doing this without a frame jig.

I already have a 23" and HHI 9 degree trees on my 2005 RG, so I won't need much work (other than modifying the fairing bracket and other little things). It's just the frame modification that has me a little leary.

pickardbaggerparts

Extreme Vendor
its pretty easy.. cut your neck, slide in a raked neck block, and weld it back up. You will need to fab all the outer pieces to button it all up. I'll look for pics and post them for ya... I've got neck blocks if you need them

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346703359.878180.jpg

This is a 2011, but same thing if you use hhi rake kit. As you see it goes back on the backbone a good ways. You can draw it when you weld, so tack it good.. I scratched me a line from the template that was supplied, whacked that sombitch right off with a sawzall. Cleaned it off real good with a flap wheel.. Weldeder up and shot some primer n paint and off you go..

DMC

Site Supporter
Will a good cheap Harbor Freight welder do the job? Or should I find a better unit? I realize there are better tools out there for this job, but I have access to the cheap stuff... just thought I would ask.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Will a good cheap Harbor Freight welder do the job? Or should I find a better unit? I realize there are better tools out there for this job, but I have access to the cheap stuff... just thought I would ask.

Find a better welder. Use a good gas shielded mig or tig.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Marc

You could use an arc, but Bill's right. You can get a portable Lincoln mig with a gas hookup, they'll operate on 110. A welder is a good investment.. Look for used on Craig's list or eBay, 220vac-250amp will do 99% of your welding needs..

Lincoln Miller or Hobart are the top three, maybe not that order.. I've got both a miller and a Lincoln, I like my Lincoln better..

Marc

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346708559.467203.jpg

Pretty good for a basic home unit, you can always V it out and make it happen if you were to weld more than 1/4"..

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346708522.167877.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346708522.167877.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 175

DMC

Site Supporter
So, I can achieve a structurally sound weld with a 110V gassless wire feed welder?

I figured everyone would be telling me to get a good one, but all these damn parts are gonna eat my budget up. I would love to go out and spend $1500+ on a good welder, but I don't do enough welding... yet. If I need to do a lot more, I'll just have to invest in a good one.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Where are you located? You might find another member with a decent welder.

I am not a fan of flux-core welding on anything other than sheet metal. It can be done, but I don't like it...

Marc

So, I can achieve a structurally sound weld with a 110V gassless wire feed welder?

I figured everyone would be telling me to get a good one, but all these damn parts are gonna eat my budget up. I would love to go out and spend $1500+ on a good welder, but I don't do enough welding... yet. If I need to do a lot more, I'll just have to invest in a good one.

One of those uses gas, I didn't mean to upload the other. I actually deleted to attachment for that one..

But yes you can, IF you are proficient with welding.

See you grind an angle on the two joining pieces, you kind of make a ditch to weld up when you can't get enough heat to have a good depth.. But 125amps will burn thru the thin Harley frame easily..

But if YOU aren't proficient with a welder DO NOT ATTEMPT to weld on your neck.. Death is likely.. if your close to me , I'll be happy to help, I have a miller bobcat with a mig/tig attachment, it's totally portable..

DMC

Site Supporter
Yeah, I don't plan on running out and buying a $100 welder and tearing into my neck. I will either practice on a few other projects around the house/garage, or just find someone with experience to weld me up, with their equipment. I kind of want to tackle it myself so I know how to do it, but I'd rather not kill myself if my bike comes apart. Either way, I will need to invest in a welder sometime soon.

Since I already have the HHI trees, and I've already had my front end apart a couple of times, it just makes sense to me to do it myself to save the $$.

I'm in the Minneapolis area, if anyone wants to know...

Marc

Where are you located? You might find another member with a decent welder.

I am not a fan of flux-core welding on anything other than sheet metal. It can be done, but I don't like it...

I never had any luck with flux core on sheet metal, I ordered a set of .023 wheels for my Lincoln, talk about awesome of sheet metal... I never know what I might get into.. Lol..

yardsale

Up in da one fiddy...
You might give a local welder a call and see how much they would charge to drive out and do it with a high-dollar unit. I didn't think of it until after I made a mess of things (its a strong weld but looked like bird chit).

DMC

Site Supporter
So, back to my original question...

Assuming that I have the welding nailed down (either brave through it myself, or hire a pro), is the neck block install pretty straightforward? I haven't read anywhere that I need a frame jig or any other special tools to get this done. Am I correct? Just cut, clean it up, weld it, clean it up again and then body-work?

There are a lot of awesome step-by-step mods on this forum that are gonna cost me a lot of $$ now, but I just can't seem to find one that would get me through this one... or maybe I'm overthinking it.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
If you use an HHI style neck, you would have to try real hard to mess it up. Your steps above are right on the money. Prep is always the most important step.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2