Adjusting the clutch

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

AKPrice

One of THE 150!
I put some bagger apes on my bike and got an extended clutch, so I need to adjust the the new clutch line. I went to the dealer to get a service maunal but they wont have any for a couple weeks. I am hoping some one on here can give me some pointers or the right direction. Thanks guys

Bill

I used to own some shit!
All the times I have done mine it took doing it twice to get it just right.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

DAPERFORMANCE

Extreme Vendor
Adjust the adjuster all way in so there is no gap on cable. Then take derby cover off and loose big nut in middle of clutch. Adjust bolt in middle with allen till there is no play in clutch lever. Then back off a quarter of turn and tightnen nut. Put cover back on... Use adjuster on cable after to fine tune clutch lever

AKPrice

One of THE 150!
The black pearl cable I got came all the way in does that sound right? For the bolt behind the derby cover, I backed the lock nut off then backed the bolt out. I then spun the the the bolt back in with a T handle allen wrench with two fingers and then went about a half turn more then backed it out a half turn. The clutch lever feels nice but I want to get your guys input if it sounds like I did it right before I put the derby cover back on.

Opunui

It will slip..here is how I do it.get a dial indicater place it on the clutch packs dial it to zero..screw in your clutch adj.bolt till the dial indicater moves then back off 1/4 turn and lock it down.

I know there is going to be guys that don't have one.just keep your eye on the pressure plates when adjusting like the above has said. You want it to just touch and then back off.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
It will slip..here is how I do it.get a dial indicater place it on the clutch packs dial it to zero..screw in your clutch adj.bolt till the dial indicater moves then back off 1/4 turn and lock it down.

I know there is going to be guys that don't have one.just keep your eye on the pressure plates when adjusting like the above has said. You want it to just touch and then back off.

Never thought about doing it like that, sound like a winner to me!

AKPrice

One of THE 150!
I dont have a dial indicator. I'm sure I'm sounding very noobish right now but what other uses do I have with a dial indicator? I like to buy tools I can use for a bunch of jobs. I also like to make due with what I have, i'm sure there's a bunch more guys that are like that. And opunui please do not take that as a dig. I really do look up to you, i'm just trying to get by and get the job done with what I have. And I would really like to know if you know of another way? Like if you were on the road and where to do this job? I'm glad I didnt fill the fluid up because I can already tell im redoing this tomorrow. I really am thankful of this forum Bill thank you.

Opunui

No problem..nothing personal.it was just my opinion. Of course there is a million ways to skin a cat. No dial indicater needed. Give your self some free play on the clutch perch like 3/16 of and inch.take your adj. nut in till just makes contact with the pressure plate keep ing and eye out on the free play also. When it touches back it off one flat of the nut.check you're free play and then take up slack with the cable adjuster if need be..presto bravo Zulu

Dial indicater.
Run out on your rims,crank,camshaft and clutch adjustment
End play if you're don't have feeler Gage's
Warped brake disc,tranny sprocket and a million more.

Last edited:

Bill

I used to own some shit!
I have one from my rock crawler days... Lots of gear changes in various axles.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Wanna Ride

AK, I just got done doing mine a few minutes ago. Figured this might be some help to you until your new manual comes in. Hope this helps!
This is from the '08 Touring manual:

First page:

Second page:

AKPrice

One of THE 150!
I ended up redoing it tuesday night. I started all over tightened it up till all the slop was gone in the handle then loosened it a half turn. It worked great yesterday!

Latest posts