Absolute Audio idiot

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

smokenjoep01

I have a sony head unit from Hogtunes and have ordered the audio lids for 6X9 speakers. I want to build a respectable audio system for my bagger. I understand there are some adapter rings to use bigger(6.5"?) speakers in the dash. And also mini sub woofers, tweeters that go in the gauge holes, etc. Whats needed and whats not? Just want something that thumps and can hear while riding. And not spend a fortune.
Who is the forum audio guru?

smokenjoep01

I wanted to revive this thread with some questions for clarification. I want to also thank those that have PM'ed me with offers of discounted equipment. before I purchase anything I want to get a little bit of a audio education.
What are the different system types?
What are the basic componets options?
Were are these componets usually located?
And Im sure as I get answers to the above questions, more will arrise.

Last edited:
N

Nautical Customs

I wanted to revive this thread with some questions for clarification. I want to also thank those that have PM'ed me with offers of discounted equipment. before I purchase anything I want to get a little bit of a audio education.
What are the different system types?
What are the basic componets options?
Were are these componets usually located?
And Im sure as I get answers to the above questions, more will arrise.

You can call us at any time 530-763-4708 or PM us we will help u out Buddy

smokenjoep01

I really appreciate the offers. And I WILL be calling but its my intenions to get the basic out here for discussion to allow others that may need this info to be able to find it and get some audio ejumakation.

N

Nautical Customs

what kind of bike do u want to talk about ?

Street Glide in stock location u can fit 6.5 with adapter rings.

Road Glide in stock locations u can fit 6.5 with adapter rings in the inter part pointing to the trees u can fit 6x9 or 5x7 or 6.5 modification of pockets my be need:)

In gauge holes u can use and size tweeter up to 2.25

Amps in the fairing u can fit Arc Audio 125.4 in most modification required in some cases.

In the saddle bags u can put up to 5 6x9 per side max but that pushing it :) one set in the lids and one in bound is good sounding :)

Hope this cover most of your questions. You can run you speakers at 4ohms or 2ohms.

smokenjoep01

Thank you for your persistance in trying to anwer my questions. My intentions are to determine what componets are needed to complete a nice/decent sounding system. Without the need for over the top highly technical/exspensivel system.
I figured we could mount 6.5 in fairing on a EG. And for the rear 6X9's in the lids. Pretty straight forward. Are subwoofers needed? What affect will they enhance? at what cost? Back in the day I had a audio guy with a stereo that he said he had the speakers set up as "seperates" I believe he called it. The tweeters were mounted indepenandtly and it sounded great. Not the loudest sytem I have heard, but it was very clear crisp sound. Best I recall with these type systems had a cross over, is this needed nowa days? It seemed like alot of equipment to hide and keep out of the weather on a bike.
Is this old technoligy? Has things been made more compact, simpler designs these days? I have seen tweeters that mount to the dash and subs mounted in bags. Were do you start and how is the best way to go about designing a bagger audio system?

Last edited:

Bill

I used to own some shit!
I think the first step is set your audio budget, everything else revolves around that.

I have two 6.5"s in the fairing, a compact 200w amp above the head unit, and two small crossovers also on top of the head unit.

Amps and crossovers have gotten a lot smaller, and some of the two way speakers have a built in crossover/filter.

Although I will probably put speakers in my lids one day it is not 100% needed.

My two speaker system sounds pretty good to me.

Tweeters in the fairing would be nice but don't think they are needed. Subs aren't going to do much for you at highway speeds.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Are you wanting a system designed for rideability and maximum bag space?

Or an over the top system for shows and parking lot pimpin?

You can cram a lot of audio equipment in the bags, but if its a rider that might not be what you want to do.

smokenjoep01

Good questions Bill. My budget is flexible depending on whats needed for my liking. I want good sound at highway speed a little thump for lot pimping. But I aint in Cali so I imagine it aint gonna take much to wowem with thump in Eastern NC! As far as bag space. Not really worried about it. All I need is a sweatshirt and a debit card to ride all weekend.
How do I know if I need seperate tweeters, crossovers??

Bill

I used to own some shit!
How do I know if I need seperate tweeters, crossovers??

That is going to be dependant on your speaker choice... If you have a one-way 6.5 and seperate tweeters you may find a crossover is helpful. Or if your two way speaker has no built in filter a crossover will help "like my Hawg Wired setup." If your speaker has a built in filter and center tweeter like the 8 Focal 165s I put in my boat this week then the crossover is not needed.

I think a good set of 6.5s in the fairing, a decent 4 channel amp, good head unit, and 6x9's in the lids will do everything you want it to do. Or maybe the HD speaker lids which I think are a 5x7. If you want to go crazy you can install lower fairings and put two more 6.5s in your face.

The trick is.... Take the advice of whatever shop you get your components from. They have without a doubt installed more systems than any of us "regular guys" and will be able to guide you to a quality system.

smokenjoep01

Something like you suggest with 6.5's in front, 6x9's in the lids, a amp and good head unit. What would a subwoofer in the bag do for it? And how much money(ballpark) for a sub? And whats your guesstament for the parts were speaking of for the basic system?
A good set of 6.5" and a set of 6X9's
amp
sub woofer. Labor is not a consideration in this conversation.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Disclaimer!!! I am not the expert in this matter....

Head Unit $200-$500
4 Channel Amp $250-$500
6.5"s $150-$400
6x9s $150-$400
Lids with speaker holes $400

Sub-no idea... Might use a seperate amp switched on/off when riding.

The sub will give you the least bang for the buck when riding. I would spend the money on higher end components for the rest of it.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
By the way... My prices may be a little off depending on the quality of equipment you purchase.

Latest posts