ABS brake bleeding

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Redglide75

I read in my manual that I need a digital tech to bleed my ABS brakes, but have heard that some have bleed there brakes without it ans have had no issues. I can't even seem to get my hand brake to pump up and hold tight. Any advise would be appreciated.

:11 (2):

Thanks

thecort

I take it in to my Harley dealer. I ain't messing with my brakes JMO

Tap it!

CHAINSAW

Site Supporter Until The World Stops Spinning!
Harley does not need to bleed them, you can do it just like the old days. I have bleed half a dozen ABS brake lines and have never had a problem yet.
I do recommend getting a bleeder kit though, as the old fashioned way just plain sucks and takes forever. A bleed kit will take you all of 1 minute to do the job :)
$25 from harbor freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-92474.html

Wanna Ride

keep pumping................. seriously, it takes forever.

Mine's not ABS and I've done them before, but I literally just got done doing mine after installing new hand controls, master cylinder, etc... I was ready to throw shit through the garage wall! It took FOREVER. And I was bitching the last time when it only took 25 minutes! I literally just got it done about ten minutes ago, when the only thing left is adjustng the clutch with the new ss cable. I saw a thread on here the other day, and logged on to look for that thread.

Be patient with the brakes, it's painstakingly slow. As for the ABS... wish I could answer that for you.

Wanna Ride

Oh yeah... I've never used the vacuum kit before, but figured it was such a PITA the last time, I'd come out of the dark ages and spring for one. It does make it easier... but I completely forgot to bench-bleed the new master cylinder. That's what was giving me the hard time.

vrog

One of THE 150!
I usually just leave the line off the caliper and pump away, once it starts leaking i put it on the caliper and go from there.

True Story:

After doing the monkey bars on my road king and having the wires rip apart in the middle of pulling it through, my buddy and I were pretty stressed out and angry. well a few beers led to a few more, then a run to the liquor store before they closed. We get it all togeth, Now came time to bleed the brakes in the weee hours of the morning. My friend is pumping away and I'm on the roll around chair waiting. After what seemed like forever, I said lets switch. So I grab the lever that he has been pumping and start going at it. After a little while I laughed to myself and he was like whats so funny???? I asked him if the clutch and brake levers are on the same side on every bike????? He was pumping the clutch line!!!! We laughed for a good while after that.

thecort

Ok I just got an answer from a buddy of mine who actually is a certified mechanic at a Harley Dealer (I know, still doesn't matter lol)
Anyway, he said the only time you need to have the dealer bleed the brakes via the computer is when you actually disconnect a brake line from the ABS box (behind the right side cover) such as installing longer lines for taller bars etc.. Otherwise you can bleed the brakes as normal.

Tap it!

thecort

I usually just leave the line off the caliper and pump away, once it starts leaking i put it on the caliper and go from there.

True Story:

After doing the monkey bars on my road king and having the wires rip apart in the middle of pulling it through, my buddy and I were pretty stressed out and angry. well a few beers led to a few more, then a run to the liquor store before they closed. We get it all togeth, Now came time to bleed the brakes in the weee hours of the morning. My friend is pumping away and I'm on the roll around chair waiting. After what seemed like forever, I said lets switch. So I grab the lever that he has been pumping and start going at it. After a little while I laughed to myself and he was like whats so funny???? I asked him if the clutch and brake levers are on the same side on every bike????? He was pumping the clutch line!!!! We laughed for a good while after that.

Thats funny shit!
Wish we could've seen his face when he realized what you were actually asking! Lmao!!!

Tap it!

toosons

i usually just leave the line off the caliper and pump away, once it starts leaking i put it on the caliper and go from there.

True story:

After doing the monkey bars on my road king and having the wires rip apart in the middle of pulling it through, my buddy and i were pretty stressed out and angry. Well a few beers led to a few more, then a run to the liquor store before they closed. We get it all togeth, now came time to bleed the brakes in the weee hours of the morning. My friend is pumping away and i'm on the roll around chair waiting. After what seemed like forever, i said lets switch. So i grab the lever that he has been pumping and start going at it. After a little while i laughed to myself and he was like whats so funny???? I asked him if the clutch and brake levers are on the same side on every bike????? He was pumping the clutch line!!!! We laughed for a good while after that.

lmao!

Redglide75

True Story:

That is the funniest think I've heard in a long time!!

Redglide75

Ok I just got an answer from a buddy of mine who actually is a certified mechanic at a Harley Dealer (I know, still doesn't matter lol)
Anyway, he said the only time you need to have the dealer bleed the brakes via the computer is when you actually disconnect a brake line from the ABS box (behind the right side cover) such as installing longer lines for taller bars etc.. Otherwise you can bleed the brakes as normal.
Tap it!

I did disconnect these lines because I thought I was going to have to change them but the 10" bars did not require new lines. However I did crack these lines and bleed them. I guess if I can't get them bleed I'll just take the to HD, just hate to pay that much money to bleed the freakin brakes!!

Bill

I used to own some shit!
I did disconnect these lines because I thought I was going to have to change them but the 10" bars did not require new lines. However I did crack these lines and bleed them. I guess if I can't get them bleed I'll just take the to HD, just hate to pay that much money to bleed the freakin brakes!!

I wouldn't think it would be any more than an hour of labor.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

vrog

One of THE 150!
Oh yeah, we do all kinds of silly shit up here in RI. Bleed the wrong lines, put banana boards on backwards, we just learn as we go :6 (3):

rollinrooster

Oh yeah, we do all kinds of silly shit up here in RI. Bleed the wrong lines, put banana boards on backwards, we just learn as we go :6 (3):

Glad to hear that me and my buddies are not the only ones that learn as we go. lol When running wires thru the bars on my road glide we pulled the right side wires thru the left side of the bars!!! Once we noticed what we had done, we just looked at each other and laughed.

CHAINSAW

Site Supporter Until The World Stops Spinning!

Tap it!

Still doesn't matter/not true. We've disconnected several front lines from the ABS box to add black extended lines,.. and bled like a normal brake line with no problem.

Latest posts