A question for you guys who do bodywork.

JG762

I’m not a body repair guy but I need to learn/teach myself some simple repairs. I have a good starting point, I have a saddlebag from a 2013 RG that decided to detach its self and come to rest on the side of the road after it spun like a top on the pavement. It was a beautiful thing…. (not)

Overall the damage is relatively minor, just some scratches and some gouges on the edges of the lid. I’m going to try my hand at fixing it up myself and learn a little in the process, I’m just not sure what material or filler I should be using? The deepest gouge is maybe ¼†the rest aren’t nearly as bad.
What type of filler do you recommend for the ABS lids and bags?
Thanks for your input!!!

bigbadjohn

Most of the time I sand the gouges out then prime and block then ur ready for paint

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
I use everlast filler

You should sand it with some heavy grit paper, use some filler block fill block glaze block prime block prime block prime use a guide coat block prime guide coat block prime block and paint

180 thru 320 paper. 1200 thru 2000 on the clear then buff

Baggerbill

Site Supporter
I use everlast filler

You should sand it with some heavy grit paper, use some filler block fill block glaze block prime block prime block prime use a guide coat block prime guide coat block prime block and paint

180 thru 320 paper. 1200 thru 2000 on the clear then buff
"use some filler block fill block glaze block prime block prime block prime use a guide coat block prime guide coat block prime block and paint"
You should use some comma's! I can't tell if you're stuttering when your typing, or if there is a shit load of steps to the process:) LMAO Mark!

1BdBagr

it's probably cheaper to buy a take off saddlebag off e-bay and maybe u can even find it in your color. If you don't know much about the process or haven't done much of it, you will need supplies that will cost more than a saddlebag bottom. Or, maybe it's time to buy extended bags and do them!
Tim

Baggerbill

Site Supporter
it's probably cheaper to buy a take off saddlebag off e-bay and maybe u can even find it in your color. If you don't know much about the process or haven't done much of it, you will need supplies that will cost more than a saddlebag bottom. Or, maybe it's time to buy extended bags and do them!
Tim
^^Agreed! It would be one thing if you were going to do the foam and fiberglass DIY stretched bags and fender yourself, and using gallons of products to complete that project. That can be a savings over buying new fender and bags. But for this job it would cost more than a bag on ebay, and maybe more than a painter you are already going to use would charge you.

JG762

Tim
That's reasonable advice, I've already purchased replacement bags and I'm going with extended bags this winter. I'm looking at this as a learning experience, some of the scrapes are likely sandable but some aren't so it's the perfect chance to learn a little.

Latest posts