A non bike build, 49 Chevy 4400

Puzzled

Staff member
I'm going to take on something a little different this coming year, a truck build. I've been wanting an old truck and they are all cool so I couldn't decide on what to build. A 49 Chevy 4400 came along at a decent price so I purchased it. Prior to buying it I knew nothing about this generation of truck. I've spent the last two months reading about them. I discovered there isn't much out there for the 4400. Had I picked up a 1/2 ton I would be good to go. So now the challenge will begin...

For now I'm going to run it as is, meaning I'm not touching the body or suspension. There are all sorts of body drop parts to drop this body on an S10 chassis. I'm not interested in that although that would make things easy.

I've spent the last two months trying to decide on a direction for this truck. Originally I was all set on lay frame and air. Not so much now. Why? I don't want to cut up a truck that has survived 70 years. So I've been thinking on how to keep as much of the original truck as I can and still get a look I'm happy with.

The reading will continue.69977

Attachments

Puzzled

Staff member
Through countless hours of reading I found that GM made a 10 lug tubeless wheel with the correct 7.25 bolt circle I need. The issue is the hub diameter is wrong and these are hub centric wheels.

Searching Marketplace I came across a set of six wheels with new tires. I was able to steal these price wise.

Attachments

Last edited:

Puzzled

Staff member
A snag I ran into is that the rear brake drum won't allow the 19.5 wheel to go all the way over it. Doing some math I will have to remove a 1/4" from the drum. So I'm currently searching for someone locally with a lathe that will take a 17" drum. My lathe is to small. A decent option here is to go with a disc brake dually rear out of a P30 GM product. This will get me my clearance while adding better braking. I found a rear for cheap that is 3 hours away. I may have to take the ride if I can't find a lathe or rear locally.

Attachments

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
Nice project, love the old chevy trucks, I have a 55, and 56 GMC project that I used to drive all the time then got my harley and lost interest and need to sell. The 6 volt is fine as long as everything is in good shape or in the summer. In the cold, (32) good luck starting it if its outside.
Are you going to keep the patina and do a clear over the top?

Puzzled

Staff member
Nice project, love the old chevy trucks, I have a 55, and 56 GMC project that I used to drive all the time then got my harley and lost interest and need to sell. The 6 volt is fine as long as everything is in good shape or in the summer. In the cold, (32) good luck starting it if its outside.
Are you going to keep the patina and do a clear over the top?
I'm going to keep the body as is. I'll use Boiled Linseed Oil on it to preserve the finish.

Puzzled

Staff member
I removed all of the wood from the bed. Looking at the bed I decided to shorten it 2' to a 10' bed. I had to drill all of the rivets out of the piece I cut off so I could reuse the cross brace and and stake pockets.

Attachments

Puzzled

Staff member
I removed all of the old wiring to the rear of the truck. It had been pretty cut up after 70 years of use. I'm going to try to run the taillights with turn signals. That is proving to be harder than I anticipated. I have a set of resistors to try before I just give up and run a separate set of turn signals. The wiring in the turn signal switch housing was brittle so I replaced all of it. I scored a 49 PA truck plate that I'm able to run.

Attachments

Latest posts