97 Ultra classic 23" budget bulid

mnmike3

Bought the bike last summer wrecked and put it back together enough to ride. Really wanted to do a 26" but ended up quitting my job and opening my own business which made it hard to spend that kind of money on this bike. So I decided to go with a 23" instead but I'm doing it on a budget. If the business takes off eventually I'll either sell this bike or redo it with a 26" at that time. I know I know, just do it the first time. I went back and forth with that decision ALL winter.

The pictures should be in order from when I bought it.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The bags and fender came with the bike, probably going to replace the bags eventually.
5.jpg

mnmike3

This is just the parts That came with the bike all put together so I could ride it last summer. I ended up selling the 70 ironhead chopper in the previous pictures which was my daily rider so this one needed to be ride-able.

7.jpg

9.jpg

mnmike3

First addition was audio, I had some stuff laying around and also worked for a stereo shop at the time. Nothing Crazy but a big improvement over stock. I used a set of Alpine Type R 6 1/2" components (the old style, not the crap they sell now) Sony Marine Bluetooth head unit with handle bar controls and this winter I added a Memphis marine Amplifier.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

mnmike3

Next Was bars, Went with Black 15" 1.5'"s

18.jpg

19.jpg

21.jpg

Also Picked up a used windshield (I assume the original was broken off in the crash) its amazing how much of a difference it makes not having one on the bike.

23.jpg

Last edited:

mnmike3

This years work started at this point. Went with a 23" front wheel and fender with 6 degree trees, Put on the new fairing supports, Built my own slipons, Put mirrors back on (didn't have any after doing the bars cause the stock ones were ugly) 55 watt 10K HID, Had to replace the base gaskets, blue LEDs in gauges til I can afford something else and put in my amp. Still working on it at this point, basically have to do some body work on the rear end, make my seat and finish my exhaust.

For the Paint I didn't want to spend the money to have it professionally painted because I intend to do more Body mods eventually and I'm not going to pay to paint the bike a bunch of times so For now its Plasti-dipped flat white, at least it will be 1 color this year.

30.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

mnmike3

40.jpg

41.jpg

You can see the slipons here (they finally stick out past the bags) still need to body work the Rear-end and I'm going to do something a little different with the taillights, the led trailer lights were just ones I had laying around and to have something to ride the bike last year. And whatever I do with the lights for now probably wont be the final change since I'm probably changing the bags anyways, they are cheap fiberglass garbage and are all sorts of not straight so I didn't feel bad cutting holes in them.

38.jpg

oldnslow98

Site Supporter
looking good so far! I'm going to go pick my bike up from the shop after work tonight, and hopefully have it rideable by the flood run.

mnmike3

Thanks. I'm about to call it a day at the office and go work on the bike. When is the flood run? Ive never been able to make it in the past but would like to.

oldnslow98

Site Supporter
The flood run is April 16th. Normally around 40 degrees when we leave in the morning but warms up decent during the day. I try to be in Prescott by 9:30 or 10:00 any later than that and it gets so crowded. Very fun time though!

mnmike3

Took the bike for a quick ride around the park and moved it next door to my shop. Very happy with how the 23" rides so far and very pleased with my exhaust. Some might laugh at my exhaust (or the whole bike for that matter) but It cost me less than $150 and sounds great. I used cherry bomb glass-packs and 4" stainless tips, cut everything down as needed and welded everything up. For now they are painted black with High temp paint (except the tips) but I plan to wrap the entire exhaust in the future and nobody will see the paint after that. Will have to keep an eye on things for a while to make sure I don't run into issues running them.

12495109_10156695250505324_1151143177149252992_n.jpg

12592591_10156695250500324_233644522876436337_n.jpg

mnmike3

Pretty much have one bag to finish and my seat. I started working on straightening the bags out but they are so bad I kind of gave up. They are worse than I thought and I'm glad I didn't pay for them. so for now my main concern was to make everything the same color for the summer, I will replace the bags, lids and possibly fender later on. Also you can see what I'm doing with the lights for this year, They will be replaced along with the rest of the ass end later.

I am going to try finding a chrome trim ring instead of the black rubber
944330_10156701800875324_872385360241577593_n.jpg

Brake Light
12294696_10156701800870324_4227974677059004443_n.jpg

Running light
12933160_10156701800855324_1572231299388323188_n.jpg

I know its not as nice as allot of bikes on here but I'm hoping to be into the whole thing less than $7,000 (including purchase price) when I start riding it real soon here. Its by no means a show bike but it runs great and that's my main concern for now.

DanHappy

Looks good. Good how.you csn find parts that work and on a dime budget.

Good luck with the business as well. Hard times nowadays.

DSmoke

You're making good progress, I started with the same bike. It will look great for this season, I love white.

mnmike3

Thanks guys. I took it for a ride to get gas today (in the 30's here so too cold for any farther) and the White lights have to go, in the sun I might as well not have lights. I had a feeling they would be hard to see but didn't think it would be this bad. Nice thing is with the plastidip I can just peel it off and go, although they do make smoked plastidip so I'll probably give that a try before leaving them red. Still need to make a seat, probably make my own fiberglass pan, and need to pull the outer fairing back off to make some adjustments. after that I just need to do an oil change and hit the road.

DSmoke

I like bright rear (brake and turn) lights, especially after being rear ended in a car, and often use hand signals. But those idiots are still out there regardless what's in front of them, bike, car, truck, semi.....

mnmike3

It sounds a little backwards but I've been run off the road so many times I just think there's certain people on the road that aren't going to see you anyways so what's a light going to change. At least during the day anyways, at night is a whole different story. But even with that thought process these lights aren't going to be enough for me to feel safe during the day. I just want to avoid two big red lights on my white bike. I'll try them smoked and if that's not any better maybe pick up a pair of clear lensed ones. But as I said before these were just some lights I had in the shop and are temporary so I'd rather not have to buy another pair.

I'm actually planning on doing my own fiberglass bags and fender at some point and then I'll be doing something allot more pleasing to the eye. Also considering painting it flat white when the time comes now.

mnmike3

Bike is as done as its going to get for the summer, other than a seat. Next year will be the next phase

FB_IMG_1460946795432.jpg

FB_IMG_1460946818354.jpg

FB_IMG_1460946809650.jpg

ElGiganteJake

Looking good. Nothing quite as nice as heading out on something you put together with your own hands.

Latest posts