96 vs 103 motor

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

BigChief

Greeting all
Still in my search for a Street glide.I was talking to a fella that said the stock 96'' motor was a better motor than the stock 103'' motor becasue of the heat that the 103 produce, especially in the summer time. Is there any truth to this? Its seem logical. Anyone have any pro and cons to buying a 103 vs 96 motor.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Zach

Site Supporter
No noticeable difference in heat between the 96 and 103 in my experience. They both run pretty hot out of the box. Nothing a good pipe, AC, and tune won't fix. Both the 96 and 103 run noticeable hotter than the old 88's though.

Zach

BigChief

No noticeable difference in heat between the 96 and 103 in my experience. They both run pretty hot out of the box. Nothing a good pipe, AC, and tune won't fix. Both the 96 and 103 run noticeable hotter than the old 88's though.

Zach
Really a pipe? How does that help the problem? I understand using an after market pipe helps the bike run more efficient, and add more power possibly, but I always thought a stock bike would runner much cooler.

FSTBGR

A stock motor is too choked up, it doesnt breath well at all, the more effeciently it runs and the better it breaths the cooler it is.......

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

slothy

Balls
Really a pipe? How does that help the problem? I understand using an after market pipe helps the bike run more efficient, and add more power possibly, but I always thought a stock bike would runner much cooler.

stock pipe as a cat in it, so it retains heat like a mofo. i gutted mine out and had it ceramic coated - night and day diff...

FSTBGR

Yeah the look of my bike looks better with rapped pipes but ceramic coated pipes are nasty, what did that run u slothy?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

DAPERFORMANCE

Extreme Vendor
U could save money and buy a 96". Throw a good cam in it and blow the doors off a stk 103". All depends on the deal u get. Only diff from production 96" and 103" is the cylinders and piston. Not a big diff in hp # s. Both good motors

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

BigChief

U could save money and buy a 96". Throw a good cam in it and blow the doors off a stk 103". All depends on the deal u get. Only diff from production 96" and 103" is the cylinders and piston. Not a big diff in hp # s. Both good motors

But here is the question and my reason for thinking 103'', both motors considered. I understand your point about putting good cams in the 96'' and blowing the door of a stk 103'', but what happen when you add a cam set up to the 103, does it not give you a considerable edge of the 96'' with cams, especially if there is only a 1k difference in price????? Or is it cheaper to build the 96'' up to the 103'' or larger on your own? Opinions.
Not really looking to do major motor work any time soon, (but cam are a must) I am all about the slam raked 26 look. I was just lookingi for which is the better platform to start with since it looks like I will be spending up wards of 17K for a bike.

DAPERFORMANCE

Extreme Vendor
Depends if u do engine work ur self or pay a shop. If u do ur self. I would buy a 96". $1000 will get u a 106" s&s cylinders and pistons and a good cam like a fueling 574 or woods tw6. Which should put u around 100 to 110 hp instead of 70 hp with a bone stock 103'. Thats of course including a good pipe, ac, and tune

BigChief

Depends if u do engine work ur self or pay a shop. If u do ur self. I would buy a 96". $1000 will get u a 106" s&s cylinders and pistons and a good cam like a fueling 574 or woods tw6. Which should put u around 100 to 110 hp instead of 70 hp with a bone stock 103'. Thats of course including a good pipe, ac, and tune

No, I have no skills at this, I'd be havnig someone build the motor for me. Also if I am understanding you correctly, building the 96'' motor would be better than a stk 103. But what can the 103 be built up to be? On equal playing fields, would you not come out with a faster motor building the 103 up vs the 96?

DAPERFORMANCE

Extreme Vendor
There the same engines except for one has 103" cyl and 1 has96". Same bottom ends, same heads, same cams

crutter

Site Supporter
Dovil where do you live? This site has members all across the country that are willing to help. I'm sure someone would help you build your motor. Bigger displacement equals more power. Bottom line. Now thinking on a budget I would go with the 96 only if you can find help to do your motor. Like da said the S&s 106 is a nice upgrade for the price. Dragos also has a great deal on his stage 1 kits. Includes 106 kit, cams, gaskets, and pushrods.

Baddd bagger

Moderator and Buddy.
All u have to do is add the screaming eagle cams to ur stock 103 and u will have a screaming eagle, u can also add the screaming eagle heads and really step it up, if u change ur exhaust make sure u run a fuel management system cause it will run hotter with out it, good luck with ur decision

Ride it like you stole it!

BigChief

Dovil where do you live? This site has members all across the country that are willing to help. I'm sure someone would help you build your motor. Bigger displacement equals more power. Bottom line. Now thinking on a budget I would go with the 96 only if you can find help to do your motor. Like da said the S&s 106 is a nice upgrade for the price. Dragos also has a great deal on his stage 1 kits. Includes 106 kit, cams, gaskets, and pushrods.

I live in Jacksonville Florida..
What it comes down to is which motor to get since I am in the process of trying to buy a bike. Do I get the 103'' or the 96'' if the price is not that much different. But if there is a difference of 1K, it seems as if I should get the 96 and spend the 1k on building the 96 which would be faster anyway.

BigChief

All u have to do is add the screaming eagle cams to ur stock 103 and u will have a screaming eagle, u can also add the screaming eagle heads and really step it up, if u change ur exhaust make sure u run a fuel management system cause it will run hotter with out it, good luck with ur decision
Ride it like you stole it!

So this means that you would have a 110 by then correct? Aren't screaming eagles a 110'' at that point. That's what I was trying to figure out, providing the price different is not that different for a bike with a 103 vs a 96 should I go ahead and buy the 103'.

Zach

Site Supporter
So this means that you would have a 110 by then correct? Aren't screaming eagles a 110'' at that point. That's what I was trying to figure out, providing the price different is not that different for a bike with a 103 vs a 96 should I go ahead and buy the 103'.

No. You can't upgrade a 96 or 103 to 110 without splitting the cases.

If I were looking for a new bike and planned a cam upgrade to whatever I bought I would get a 103". On paper you would probably end up about 6-10 points higher in hp and tq all other things being the same (ie. same cam in a 96 and 103 same exhaust, ac, and tune).

Zach

Latest posts