5000 Budget, 88 Inch

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

STACKS

What's up guys, I need your help. I'm new to the Harley game. I have a 5 grand budget for a turn key job. The only thing that I have and plan on keeping is an Akrapovic exhaust. I'm not worried about the clutch set up right now and I may add nitrous later on. What would you build?

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Get the bottom end done 100%. Crank work, all the upgraded bearings, clearance for huge cams etc....

After that you can go as crazy as you want and not worry about it too much. Especially when you throw nitrous into the mix...

Disclaimer: I really don't know shit about what works and what doesn't... I rely heavily on Frank from Drago's Bike Works to keep me from wasting money.

DCHBGR

Site Supporter
Agree...I have a Tman stage 3 107 with 625 cams and all the necessary upgrades to go with... Makin 131-122 and it's plenty for the street. Lol

QuikHD

One of THE 150!
I would build a107 with head work and cams.

All bore or stroker? He has a 4" crank.

Are you building it yourself or having someone else build it?

What year bike is it? If its pre 03, you have a better crank and timken and the bottom end may not be so critical right now.

DCHBGR

Site Supporter
Mine is bore it was a 96 but the crank is pinned and welded and all that mess.... My dads 06 SG we have the same setup but of coarse its stroked with a carb only a stage 2 though

I'll be honest... I went the 95" route with my 88, built total for less than $3500 and then added nitrous. Mine is a pre '03, so mine had the better crank/bearing. NEVER had an issue with it. Lost a lifter 2 years ago (roller pin came out) and went to a S&S 106 hot setup. I wish I had the 95 back! Those builds are the best of all worlds... not built so radical that you cant ride it all day, and reliable, reliable, reliable! Buddy has a 124" and wishes the same thing... he had a nice running 95 and regrets not rebuilding that when he went big. Sometimes "going big or go home" isnt all it's cut out to be. My 95 made 105hp/110tq, and I had a 30hp NOS hidden on the bike for those squirrely softails that laughed because you have a radio!!! One mans opinion... make sure to document the build here!

Zach

Site Supporter
What's up guys, I need your help. I'm new to the Harley game. I have a 5 grand budget for a turn key job. The only thing that I have and plan on keeping is an Akrapovic exhaust. I'm not worried about the clutch set up right now and I may add nitrous later on. What would you build?

Procharger. Talk to Dragos.

Zach

STACKS

Thanks for all the suggestions. From what I am gathering so far it seems like either the 107 or 95 inch will best suit me with my budget. I like the superchargers and turbos but I'm a more old school and like to make my buddies wonder what the hell happened when I pull away from them. My buddies don't have radical motors but I know they are looking for payback from the sportbike days so I need something other than stock. Just wondering does anyone have there Harley tuned on race fuel like mrx01 or is that something to stay away from, I know it use to be good for 7 or 8 hp on my race bike. Again thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming because I have nothing in stone yet. Who is Tman and how do i contact him.

FSTBGR

for your year I wouldnt go over a 95 kit. your bottom end wont handle much more. on my 04 RK I did a whole screamin eagle set up with there racing MCR heads and 11/5/1 flat top forged pistons. dyno'd at 103rwhp and 102tq.....very fast build and reliable. I have a 12 RGC now and builging a TMAN 107 stage 4 with 660 cams....alot more ad ons to go with the build but expect to pull 120's outta that......go 95 bro....good budget build for sure.....youll b happy with money spent bro....with 5000 a 107 would be out of question to build it right and reliable for your yr bike....dont know why people are telling u to do that.....you would have to upgrade too much else around it if u wanted it to perform to its potential...

Last edited:

Zach

Site Supporter
What about a 120r?

I don't think you could do one with $5g's after you factor in a throttle body and the other odds and ends that you end up with.

To the OP, T-Man is actually TR Reiser who owns T-Man Performance. He is a great guy and his shit flat works. I'm running a set of his 590 cams in my 103. Just Google him and you will find his site.

Zach

coolerman69

One of THE 150!
Fstbgr was right. Stay 95in(fuel moto does a 98) and build it right. I have an 05 with all SE parts that puts out 109/114 std on pump gas. Its a blast to ride, quiet motor and reliable.

DCHBGR

Site Supporter
FSTBGR is prob right you can get more for your money if u stay with that 95" or 98".....sorry when it comes to HP I stop thinking about a budget...lol As we all know when it comes to a build budgets go out the window!

And no I'm not pushing anyones product.....but as we all know that have used his parts....TR Rieser.."TMAN" is the shit!!!

http://www.tmanperformance.com/index.html

Last edited:

slothy

Balls
not doin a 120ci with 5000, the motor costs a lil more than that, 5400 I believe, then u ned all the boltons after....plus it wont fit on anything pre 06 cause of tranny

5300ish for motor/tb/ injectors ONLINE - sell your motor for 1k or more.. and they make a 120r that fits the old turd frame now

19289-12 Black & Chrome.
Fits ’02-’05 Dyna and ’02-’06 touring models.
P/n 24008-03.

FSTBGR

FSTBGR is prob right you can get more for your money if u stay with that 95" or 98".....sorry when it comes to HP I stop thinking about a budget...lol As we all know when it comes to a build budgets go out the window!

And no I'm not pushing anyones product.....but as we all know that have used his parts....TR Rieser.."TMAN" is the shit!!!

http://www.tmanperformance.com/index.html

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, my budget for this custom build i'm working right now is far over the amount I told the wife I THOUGHT it was gonna cost and she's not suprised.........what's new......I can't wait to see what my TMAN set up pulls on the dyno, me and my boys have bets on it right now....TMAN stuff is serious for sure.....

DCHBGR

Site Supporter
Max Power = 131.75, Max Torque = 122.10, (STD)
CI = 107", Heads = T-Man, Cam = TR-625, Exhaust = D&D Boarzilla, 2008 FLTR

hell yeah bro let me know....I been wondering about those 660 cams!

Latest posts