26 wheel on a 98 road glide

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

98customRoadGlide

So me and my buddy both want to do 26 inch wheels this winter, but we have older bikes. I have a 98 and he has a 97, so I'm curious if anyone has done a 26 with that old of bike and cable drive speedo. We want our speedos to work and not be like 20mph off!!!

Anyone have any input ????

Opunui

Your trans has to have the bore machined out so the digital pickup reads the gears. Some older 4 and 5 speeds have a thick webbing under the right side of the trans. Some new ones have a cover.

98customRoadGlide

Your trans has to have the bore machined out so the digital pickup reads the gears. Some older 4 and 5 speeds have a thick webbing under the right side of the trans. Some new ones have a cover.

Yea I don't want to mess with that, guess I'll see what Dakota digital says. Guess this is one of the drawbacks having an older bike! Lol

smokenjoep01

Yea I don't want to mess with that, guess I'll see what Dakota digital says. Guess this is one of the drawbacks having an older bike! Lol

There is no work around that I know of. I went through this on a ninety nine that had a cable. Ended up the bike had a updated trans and the trap door had a spot for a electronis speedo. If you have the stock trans and dont want to update that, then your options are none that I know of.

98customRoadGlide

There is no work around that I know of. I went through this on a ninety nine that had a cable. Ended up the bike had a updated trans and the trap door had a spot for a electronis speedo. If you have the stock trans and dont want to update that, then your options are none that I know of.

Prolly too much money and hassle to modify my transmission for a 26, there is an option of running a gps on my handlebars but don't really want to do that, or running the speedo on the rear!

98customRoadGlide

My buddy talked to Dakota digital today and cost us about $850. New speedo and tach and adaptor and sensor. Yes they do have a rear wheel sensor but not sure how that would work because that sensor has wires coming off it!

ILLEGAL REGAL

A new speedo might read their sensor or just drop big coin and upgrade to the Dakota gauges?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

T

Thomason Performance

How much does it cost to do the tranny modification? I've never looked into it - but that's what all of my customers that put 23's and 26's on '99 and older bikes have done...