26" rake questions

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

tboner

I currently have a 21 Renegade wheel on front and was thinking of doing a 23" but if I go that far I should just man up and do the 26".

couple Q's for those that have done it...the bike is an 08 streetglide.

1. can I use my front fairing without having to mod it?
2. will I need to use a headlight adapter?
3. How do I run the wires thru the neck, hole size?
4. I have a 1" HD lowering kit, will I need to go back to stock?
5. which kit should I use? I would like to do this my self and the HHi kit look straight forward and would not rule it out BUT I like the looks of the Yaffe rake as its not out too far like a chopper......but it looks more complicated.
6. what can I expect to pay for the kit?

thanks

Tboner

011.jpg

slothy

Balls
I currently have a 21 Renegade wheel on front and was thinking of doing a 23" but if I go that far I should just man up and do the 26".

5. which kit should I use? I would like to do this my self and the HHi kit look straight forward and would not rule it out BUT I like the looks of the Yaffe rake as its not out too far like a chopper......but it looks more complicated.

thanks

Tboner

View attachment 6212

1) yes
2) yes unless you get a modify fairing (judging by airbrushing you prob dont wanna do that) if not your headlight will shine at the birds.
3) talk to Opunui he just did his.
4) might - too many variables in the end.
5) shanes @ af kustoms - better than HHI's and cheaper.
6) i wanna say less then 300 for neck. ive done/helped do 2 yaffe ones they are that bad. havent done a hhi one yet.

Bill

I used to own some shit!

thanks

Tboner

View attachment 6212

1.- Yes, Native Custom Baggers has angled headlight bezels in stock that would put your headlight back to where it needs to be. That being said, I prefer the raked fairing.

2.- Not if you have a raked fairing.

3.- This is something you'll figure out when you get there, I wish I had done mine...

4.- You'll need to go back to stock or an inch higher than stock, totally up to you. Stock tubes lowered 1" will not leave you much travel.

5.- Don't forget the AF Kustoms neck "nicer than HHI IMO", and Pickard has a block similar to the Yaffe. Next time I'll probably use a Pickard kit as it looks stock when completed.

Camtech has advertised $2800 for the neck, trees, welded, body worked, and painted. Drive in, and drive out. You would still need a wheel and any other mods you were doing. Just the trees and neck or block kit run +/- $1000 or so.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

tboner

So if I understand correctly, Af Kustoms neck with HHI 9 degree trees for a 26 would be the easy way to go, Yaffe with the more stock finish look would be more work and more complicated....

I'm in Mass, I already thought about having Camtech do it but its about 17hrs drive one way.......and if I do that I should have him put on a body kit too..

Bill: is the AFK the way you went in you build thread?

thx for the info by the way.....

Tboner

Opunui

Ok I agree with all the post above.
3). The hole size will be as follow..you need to cut a rectangle out of the backbone where your existing wire harness is. There are pics available on here. The front left your drilling a 3/4" hole, the right needs to be a rectangle of 1x 1 1/2" long for the four main harness wires to go thru. Then right above your rear cylinder there are two small 3/16" holes enlarge them on both sides of your frame drill a 5/8" hole for your coil wire,heat sensing wire,injector wires and so forth

Bill

I used to own some shit!
So if I understand correctly, Af Kustoms neck with HHI 9 degree trees for a 26 would be the easy way to go, Yaffe with the more stock finish look would be more work and more complicated....

I'm in Mass, I already thought about having Camtech do it but its about 17hrs drive one way.......and if I do that I should have him put on a body kit too..

Bill: is the AFK the way you went in you build thread?

thx for the info by the way.....

Tboner

I used the HHI neck prior to knowing about AF Kustoms.

Although a neck block from Yaffe/Pickard would be a little more work, it wouldn't be much.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Audioworks is in your neck of the woods and could handle the job for sure...

tboner

No doubt AW can do it but looking to save some $ plus I know I can do it. I talked to Matt at Laconia and its 3k.

I like the yaffe kit but a little concerned setting the rate correctly and not sure what kind of details comes wiht his neck kit plus it Just seems more can go wrong with the yafee kit. The AFK neck seems like it pretty simple.

vrog

One of THE 150!
take the drive to SC and have camtech do it. This way you can bring my new project down to him and save me the trip:1:

tboner

this place is great!

thanks for the Yaffe pics, but the directions seem kinda vaig...(sp) "insert neck and tack weld".........how far? has to be certain amount so the switch housing wont hit, correct or maybe I missed something?

in the end maybe I'll go with the AFK kit......

slothy

Balls
the yaffe, you set the stretch to what ever you want (just make sure the ignition switch clears tank) - where as the hhi you stuck with the stretch they give you.

i did about a 1/2" but i modified my tank to lower it so it cleared, on addict j's bike we did a 1 1/4 or so"

Last edited:

tboner

just thought of something, looks like from the pic if you have an 08 and you use the yaffe kit you loose your vin numbers?

slothy

Balls
no, you "cut that section off and re weld it" if i remember correctly for pre 09

that pic is a '11

i had the manual for a pre 09 somewhere, but you dont lose vin.

808Bagger

Ok I agree with all the post above.
3). The hole size will be as follow..you need to cut a rectangle out of the backbone where your existing wire harness is. There are pics available on here. The front left your drilling a 3/4" hole, the right needs to be a rectangle of 1x 1 1/2" long for the four main harness wires to go thru. Then right above your rear cylinder there are two small 3/16" holes enlarge them on both sides of your frame drill a 5/8" hole for your coil wire,heat sensing wire,injector wires and so forth
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341024677.946281.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341024752.829708.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341024781.006732.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341024797.056711.jpg

Latest posts