26 CVO Ultra in PNW

Run the OEM Spots with the raked fairing and 26 or not?

• Yes Run 'Em!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SinisterSpeed

Well around here I have yet to see even 1 26 rolling around so this winter while waiting to get my 13 SG back from paint we were sitting around at another buddies bike shop Jasper & Co HD and we started talking about building a bike. I asked if he knew were we could pick up a salvage 09+ so we could do up a 26 for me to play around with and show off some of the products he could get and some of the products he sells. He said yes so we made the call and found the guy had a 2010 CVO ultra with 19k on it for a decent price. We headed out to look at it and fount it was all body damage and even took it for a ride. Everything looked fine so we worked out a deal on it and took it back to the shop on 1-1-15

10917414_917827181562127_1231925037258473386_n.jpg
10906446_917827131562132_3146498743012359520_n.jpg
10896894_917827351562110_3899573476062689637_n.jpg

Last edited:

SinisterSpeed

Next up after bringing it back to the shop we stripped it down and starting making a list of new parts and deciding for sure on a direction. Granted I'm posting in ChoppedBaggers.com so one can assume it's not going to be stock.

10912485_10205419416186719_206963145_o.jpg

Last edited:

SinisterSpeed

So the new list:

American Suspension Bolt On Trees for 26
Ryd ION 26" front wheel that looks similar to the stock ultra wheel just a tad bigger
Stretched/Raked Fairing
New Headlight (Stock was cracked)
14" Chrome Jasper Devils (keeping the heated grips just because)
Top Shop Black Death Kit w/CVO option
Top Shop Stretched Tank
Top Shop Stretch Pop On side Panels
Top Shop Dash
09-13 CVO Smoked LED Tail Lights (I had to since it's a CVO)
Ditch the Tour Pack Mount and move the amp into the right saddlebag
SG Smooth Strut Covers
Chrome 4 port
CVO SG Bag Lids w/Speakers
Ditch the 13" Ultra Shocks for 12" SG Shocks
3" lowering kit in rear
Ditch the Ultra Rear Saddlebag guards
Remove the Bub7 true duals for a 2-1 side dump

------------------------------------
Undecided still
------------------------------------
Color (I'm thinking Atomic Orange/Galaxy Gray from 13 CVO RG or 2 tone Black Flat/Gloss)
Front Fender Style
Chin spoiler or not (Depends on fender style)
Will the front need lowered?
Air Ride?
What seat?

and a few more ods and ends....

Last edited:

SinisterSpeed

Coming up with the list and creating the overall budget took about a week than I started ordering parts.. Damn that CC just got paid off too!

I could post pictures of a stack of receipts but what fun is that?

I picked up a few things on ebay and FB buy/sell pages started selling off a bunch of the parts we're not going to be using. But, the First new part came in on 1-31!

Other than the raked fairing of eBay that ended up being for a 14+ with no stand offs on the inside... but that's an issue all in itself since they guy wont return it I had to turn it into ebay as the seller clearly listed an 87-13 fairing and had one pictured with no vent but the one I received has a vent for 14+ bikes. So we'll see how that turns out later. Now I decided to just rake my own. I cut the stock one just to find out how much rake I needed to get the headlight straight after mounting up the new trees.

10937730_10205533011626534_1341952001_n.jpg
IMG_1534.jpgIMG_1533.jpg

Last edited:

SinisterSpeed

After getting the trees mounted we were able to figure out I need to lower the front 2".

After calling Adam at WanaRyd I found my new wheel/tire combo will be 30.8" overall so half for axle height the front just sits to high.

Using the Jack up on the rack I lowered the front 2" just to represent the new ride height and start figuring out the fairing.
We mounted up the new fairing brackets, cracked inner, and outer that's missing a lower stand-off just to check how much rake I need on the new fairing I still need to find.

Looks like 1.5" is what I need with bolt on trees and lowered 3" in the rear and 2" in the front.

IMG_1536.jpg
IMG_1537.jpg

Last edited:

SinisterSpeed

Today's 2-3 and the TopShop stuff showed up today. So we had to at least set it up there to get a visual

IMG_1548.jpg
IMG_1549.jpg

SinisterSpeed

Just like the last set I bought a few months ago from TopShop for my 13 everything looks like it will fit perfectly.

These pics are just setting it up there, there is wiring in the way and only 1 clip holding them on. The new tank also still has badges on it so we'll get get all worked out in the next couple days.

After setting everything up there, I really don't care for the TopShop dash, I had Tom the owner of the shop call TopShop and ask about the harness that wasn't in the package for the lights and check on sending the dash back.

Wouldn't ya know it, I purchase 2 full body kits from them in under 6 months, this kit when it finally was charged to my CC was $50 more than it was supposed to be and now 1 part I really don't care for and they want to charge me 30% restocking fee?

If I didn't really like their quality and delivery times I'd probably be more upset.

Screw it, I'll toss it on the shelf and do something with it later. I think I'm going to try to use the stock CVO dash on this one.

IMG_1550.jpg
IMG_1551.jpg

Last edited:

Zach

Site Supporter
Looks like a nice parts list. Not sure where you are located, but there is at least one member (Jetlag) running a 26 in the PNW. I'm in Portland.

Zach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SinisterSpeed

Looks like a nice parts list. Not sure where you are located, but there is at least one member (Jetlag) running a 26 in the PNW. I'm in Portland.

Zach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Zach, I'm close enough to Portland to spit on it, Just out west about 35mi on hwy 26. I live out in Banks area and work in Hillsboro. The bike is being put together at a shop out in North Plains.

I'll look for Jetlag cause like I said, I've been into baggers for a few years and I've never seen anything larger than 23 around here.

Zach

Site Supporter
Jetlag is up in Washington (Chehalis/Centrailia). Can't wait to see it when it's done. Looks good so far.

Zach

SinisterSpeed

Another trip to eBay today. Picked up a set of smooth strut covers. I have a set from my FLHX right now in chrome and now I just picked up this set today PC'd black. So I haven't decided if this bike is getting them painted body color or left chrome but at least I now have 2 sets.

strut-covers.jpg
4port.jpg

SinisterSpeed

Stopped by the shop this morning to drop off the CVO lids now that there is a place to set them!

[NO these are not the latches I'm using]
cvo-lids.jpg

SinisterSpeed

I spend a couple hours digging through the FS section to see if there were any 26" front fenders available but to no avail I'm still looking.

Also, I see people selling the Danny Grey seat for the Yaffe tank, I'm running the TopShop tank covers but can anyone tell me what is actually different on the DG seat? I had to have my 2up XL weekday seat modified on my FLHX for the tank. I was planning on doing that here too especially since I think I might run the stock CVO dash unless I can find a stretched one I like on this bike. Otherwise I need to make sure the seat still goes up onto the tank to cover the gap between the end of the stock dash and the start of the seat.

Last edited:

SinisterSpeed

Well today was a fun day down at the shop. I finally located a new fairing locally after multiple people either not coming through or as I said earlier sending me the wrong one.

As of yesterday afternoon I had in my hand a pristine OEM HD fairing ready to cut up. Went down to the paint supply store yesterday and got some supplies We'd need to rake fairing ourselves. After thinking about it all night I decided one of the things I was going to miss about the 14+ fairing sitting here in my kitchen was the lip above the headlight looked much deeper than on my stock 2010 fairing. So why not fix that? I had an extra fairing that had the inner mount broke so today when I got to the shop I was talking with Tom about my idea and then headed back to the paint store to pick up a mixing gun for the 2 part epoxy we were about to use.

By the time I got back he already had the new fairing hung, and cut, and even had the sliver I was explaining I wanted to do attached at the front attached at the top. After a quick look I was in!
We countersunk a couple of screws at the bottom corners to finish of the look and then began setting the backing for the panel bond.

IMG_1562.jpg
IMG_1563.jpg
IMG_1565.jpg
IMG_1566.jpg