26" 9/9 or 23" 7/7 or 23" 9* Trees... THAT is the question!

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

FenderBell

I know the is a TON of knowledge and experience on here. I've been reading for days. And I love how supportive everyone us in helping out the new guys, so I'm hoping the trend will keep going with this thread.

First off, I just bought a brand new 2012 Street Glide in Vivid Black. Can't even pick it up until Wednesday. They are install Vance and Hines true dual exhaust in flat black, Harley Race Tuner, and Stage 1 Screaming Eagle intake with the gloss black cone.

I have ridden bobbers, choppers, dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, and crotch rockets up to this point. Although I have put a few miles on some stock baggers that my brothers ride. LOVE the comfort and luggage practicality. Don't wanna lose much of that in the proccess.

So here is my delima. I know that its nothing for me to ride a 1000 miles in a weekend. Sometimes into some desolate areas with no replacement parts. And I ride with a large group. I can't have my brand new bike breaking down or leaving me stranded, thus screwing up the trip for my entire group. I ride every bike hard fast and fairly deep into the corners.

So here's my delima. I need help chiding which set up I'm gonna go with. And don't forget that I want this bike to turn heads everywhere I go, but still be as reliable as stock.

1- 9* raked trees from HHI. No stretch. 23" front.

2- 7* HHI trees and 7* Yaffe neck kit. 23" front.

3- 9* HHI trees and 9* Yaffe neck kit. 26" up front.

4- Stick w/ upgraded dual rotor setup OR go with the Single 13" and 6 piston caliper. (Remember I come from sport bikes a ride with a 80/20 front to back ratio when breaking) I don't wanna lose ANY stopping power. It needs to be upgraded if anything.

5- Homemade Air Ride setup, available on this website? Or just some drop kit I find.

6- I plan to paint the entire bike once its mocked up, so do you suggest a raked fairing or raked headlight bucket?

7- Drop seat or no drop seat? I'm 6'3" with a long torso. If I go that route, ill probably use camtech for the gas tank and side covers.

8- Lastly, bags and fender. I live how the down-n-out setup has the angled corners on the outside of the bags to give you more ground clearnce in the corners. Are they the only company doing that? I heard they had a patent on that design.

I'm positive there will be more questions as I go along, but I hope to get the majority of my layout decided by the conversations started in this thread.

I know this is a lot to ask, but you guys are my only source of advice/info since no one around me is doing anything this crazy. But if you can find the time please help me with each question. Pros and cons. Ride quality. Dependability. Wow factor. And if ya know off the top of your head, maybe even a couple prices thrown in there. I can't express how much you guys would be helping me out.

VENDORS: You are the guys that get the most riding experience on different setups. I'm leaning on you here to jump in and help me out! As soon as I make my mind up on the majority of the design, I will be starting to collect parts for this winter so I can do everything at once as soon as I break the bike down. Our winter down here only last about a month so I don't wanna be down long. I figure if I start ordering now, I should be ready to tackle this thing come December, maybe sooner.

Once again, thank you for all your time and support. And thanks to Webmaster Bill for bringing us together and making this all possible.

TAP THAT SH*T!!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1341866600016.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341866600016.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 279
  • uploadfromtaptalk1341866639451.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341866639451.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 282

rollinrooster

Congrats on youre first bagger. I just installed the "home made air ride" on my RG and love the ride!!! you can air it up when you ride hard thru the mountains and let it out when cruisin the boulivard...also you get that WOW factor when you dump the air out. Another WOW factor go 26" or bigger on front, i cant speak on this from experience but everyone i've talked to love the ride quality and some say they ride better than stock and believe me when you go to the bigger rallies all the bikes with big front wheels get all the looks . I'm going with a 26" this winter and cant wait!!!! One more thing check out native baggers, i think they have a set of bags with the angled corners.

thecort

I know the is a TON of knowledge and experience on here. I've been reading for days. And I love how supportive everyone us in helping out the new guys, so I'm hoping the trend will keep going with this thread.

First off, I just bought a brand new 2012 Street Glide in Vivid Black. Can't even pick it up until Wednesday. They are install Vance and Hines true dual exhaust in flat black, Harley Race Tuner, and Stage 1 Screaming Eagle intake with the gloss black cone.

I have ridden bobbers, choppers, dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, and crotch rockets up to this point. Although I have put a few miles on some stock baggers that my brothers ride. LOVE the comfort and luggage practicality. Don't wanna lose much of that in the proccess.

So here is my delima. I know that its nothing for me to ride a 1000 miles in a weekend. Sometimes into some desolate areas with no replacement parts. And I ride with a large group. I can't have my brand new bike breaking down or leaving me stranded, thus screwing up the trip for my entire group. I ride every bike hard fast and fairly deep into the corners.

So here's my delima. I need help chiding which set up I'm gonna go with. And don't forget that I want this bike to turn heads everywhere I go, but still be as reliable as stock.

1- 9* raked trees from HHI. No stretch. 23" front.

2- 7* HHI trees and 7* Yaffe neck kit. 23" front.

3- 9* HHI trees and 9* Yaffe neck kit. 26" up front.

4- Stick w/ upgraded dual rotor setup OR go with the Single 13" and 6 piston caliper. (Remember I come from sport bikes a ride with a 80/20 front to back ratio when breaking) I don't wanna lose ANY stopping power. It needs to be upgraded if anything.

5- Homemade Air Ride setup, available on this website? Or just some drop kit I find.

6- I plan to paint the entire bike once its mocked up, so do you suggest a raked fairing or raked headlight bucket?

7- Drop seat or no drop seat? I'm 6'3" with a long torso. If I go that route, ill probably use camtech for the gas tank and side covers.

8- Lastly, bags and fender. I live how the down-n-out setup has the angled corners on the outside of the bags to give you more ground clearnce in the corners. Are they the only company doing that? I heard they had a patent on that design.

I'm positive there will be more questions as I go along, but I hope to get the majority of my layout decided by the conversations started in this thread.

I know this is a lot to ask, but you guys are my only source of advice/info since no one around me is doing anything this crazy. But if you can find the time please help me with each question. Pros and cons. Ride quality. Dependability. Wow factor. And if ya know off the top of your head, maybe even a couple prices thrown in there. I can't express how much you guys would be helping me out.

VENDORS: You are the guys that get the most riding experience on different setups. I'm leaning on you here to jump in and help me out! As soon as I make my mind up on the majority of the design, I will be starting to collect parts for this winter so I can do everything at once as soon as I break the bike down. Our winter down here only last about a month so I don't wanna be down long. I figure if I start ordering now, I should be ready to tackle this thing come December, maybe sooner.

Once again, thank you for all your time and support. And thanks to Webmaster Bill for bringing us together and making this all possible.

TAP THAT SH*T!!!

1-If you don't mind cutting the neck then go with a 26, neck rake & trees. Remember you may void your warranty.
2-Refer to 1
3-Refer to 2
4-From what I've read braking isn't a problem if you go single sided & at least a 13" rotor.
5-Check out the Homemade air ride thread. Lots of great info there.
6-Depends on your budget & style preference. They both achieve the same thing.
7- Gotcha
8-I think Native Custom Baggers can get saddlebags like Ness DNO's for less money. Don't know if they have a patent...

Good luck & I'm sure you'll get the help you need here.

Tap it!

FenderBell

Ive actually read that thread. We as much as I could stand before skipping to the end. I really hope I don't come off like that

FenderBell

Thanks for the input! I think I am gonna go with the homemade air ride. Seems like everyone on here loves it and it doesn't look that difficult judging from the thread.

FenderBell

1-If you don't mind cutting the neck then go with a 26, neck rake & trees. Remember you may void your warranty.
2-Refer to 1
3-Refer to 2
4-From what I've read braking isn't a problem if you go single sided & at least a 13" rotor.
5-Check out the Homemade air ride thread. Lots of great info there.
6-Depends on your budget & style preference. They both achieve the same thing.
7- Gotcha
8-I think Native Custom Baggers can get saddlebags like Ness DNO's for less money. Don't know if they have a patent...

Good luck & I'm sure you'll get the help you need here.

Tap it!

Thanks 808! You definitely have one of the sickest bikes I've ever seen! Yeah the warranty thing has crossed my mind, but I've voided my warranty on just about everything else I own too, truck included. So you never can tell. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

FenderBell

Thanks 808! You definitely have one of the sickest bikes I've ever seen! Yeah the warranty thing has crossed my mind, but I've voided my warranty on just about everything else I own too, truck included. So you never can tell. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Whoops. Not 808. Cort. Hey don't you have the 9* no rake setup? How would you say it rides? Any complaints?

pickardbaggerparts

Extreme Vendor
if you don't want to cut your neck, check out our 23" bolt on bagger trees. We have quite a few members on the forum that can tell you our trees actually work and do not wobble at all. It has the proper trail (6.4) and doesn't require you to modify your front end. You can also run a 1in lowering kit to make your bike sit level and still have plenty of travel... check out our vendor forum to read more about them...

FenderBell

if you don't want to cut your neck, check out our 23" bolt on bagger trees. We have quite a few members on the forum that can tell you our trees actually work and do not wobble at all. It has the proper trail (6.4) and doesn't require you to modify your front end. You can also run a 1in lowering kit to make your bike sit level and still have plenty of travel... check out our vendor forum to read more about them...

Can anyone chime in with some reviews?

I've seen a couple good ones in your threads, pickard. That looks like a damn good option. And the cheapest route for sure. And it wont void my warranty. Hmmm. I've got some thinking to do! Thanks for the input!

thecort

Yep, I have HHI 9 degree trees. No wobbles. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is how light the front end feels above 65mph. I've been past 90 with it (track of course lol) & it's fine. I'm working on installing a steering damper from the trike Harley sells.

Remember opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. There's a ton of info here but you'll need to come up with a direction that works best for you & your style.

Here's an example: some guys run lowering blocks, I love the look but it won't work for me for two reasons:

1- they change the angle of the shocks which also changes the ride quality. It may not be too big of a deal to some but it's not something I'm willing to sacrifice.

2-I'll destroy the bottoms of my saddlebags cause I like to lean over some in the turns. Some guys don't ride like that.
I came over from sportbikes too. Dragging knees is awesome. These bike are NOT sportbikes though lol. When you customize your bike you will sacrifice a few things to achieve your goal...it's not a bad thing.
As it is I had to sacrifice how hard I go into a turn because I used to scrape my pipe & floorboards before I installed my DNO's & new floorboards. I don't want to destroy the new stuff...yet lol

Keep reading & learning. Don't rush it cause you always want to change things even though you just "changed things"

Tap it!

T

Thomason Performance

As far as braking power, you lose approximately 30% when you switch from a dual set-up to a single. Putting the 13" on and a 6 piston will bring back approximately 15-20% of that.

As far as size of wheel - every one of my customers that has done a 23" only did so because they didn't want to cut their neck and they opted for HHI trees. Now I recommend Pickards trees - I've heard great things about them and they're a site vendor as you already know(even though they are my competition). Anyway, they all wanted the look of the 26". I personally have never ridden any of them - but my 30" customer loves the way his 30 rides, and loved the way his 26 rode before he went to the 30. He said the 26 and the 30 ride amazing. And his bike went through every wheel size - from a 21 up to a 30 in less than a year...

It's going to come down to personal choice in the end, but I know most of the guys on here will tell you to drop a 26" in there. You'll be much happier in the long run, and should you decide to up it to a 30" you'll already be raked and just needing new trees.

When you're ready for a wheel, be sure to let me know!

Dude, I am all for 26" rides... and thats what I will be doing this winter. But listening to you describing how you ride and how much your ride, I would really consider the options at 23"! A buddy has 23" and HHI trees only, and compared to my 21", it rides better! My daily driver is an Audi A6, and I love the heavyness of the steering, meaning the steering doesnt twitch or drift. Riding the 23" with trees felt the same way... taking off ramps at 50mph felt sturdy and secure... If you go 26" you have to worry about tons of things on the roads... flat tire, bent rim from the several potholes/speedbumps you hit, etc... I even see guys on here getting 26" wheels and tires and not being able to find a place to mount/balance them! If you weekend trip your bike, I would consider staying on the "popular" side of large wheel/tires. Just one assholes opinion, since everybody has one!

Benji

Bill

I used to own some shit!
plenty of 1k days on a 26" rain/shine no issues... other then dealing with people when you stop asking questions :7:

Yup....

Stopping for gas usually involves a 30 minute conversation with someone....

rollinrooster

plenty of 1k days on a 26" rain/shine no issues... other then dealing with people when you stop asking questions :7:

Thats funny shit!!! with my last two rat rods it was the same way!!!! i even thought about carrying a jug of gas so i didnt have to stop..

TNTCC

Site Supporter
The Pickard trees for the 23" handle great. Just got back from a 2600 mile round trip to MN. and the bike handles better than stock. No wobble or shake at any speed(we probably averaged 80mph) Have ran them cut and stretched and was sceptical about bolt on trees.... not any more. Wheel size is a personal preference. I personally don't go bigger than a 23" because I like the flow of the bike better, the 26's and 30's look like an old time pedal bike(just my opinion, no atacks needed..lol) I have bent a 23" on a bridge seam and with less side wall as well as the prices that concerns me. With all the hard miles everyone with 26 and 30's run I would have thought I would have seen one in my travels. Oh, I run a single 13" with a 6 piston and it stops great expecially deep into the corners.IMAG0519.jpg

T

Thomason Performance

That bike looks so smooth. Nice job! The bags are cool looking!

Really Brian? Dont you guys have potholes that eat cars up north? I am beginning to think potholes is a Northeast thing... I hit bridge gaps and potholes everywhere around the DC area! My Audi on 18s are bent like crazy!!! I fear them more than high speed wobbles! Thats why I cant wait to retire and move south... enjoy my toys and hobbies year round!

slothy

Balls
the bigger wheels steam roll over potholes that would eat a 21.. not saying i drive over them on purpose. but gives a little room for error lol.

ya the roads here suck... i don't even have to look to know when i cross into Michigan from Ohio. usally wait a few weeks once its nice out for them to fill in the holes after winter