26 - 30 wheels and tires question

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

keebee

Was thinking about going with a 21" wheel but then I saw a local guy rolling a 23". It seems I got the go big or go home bug. Looking at going with a 26 or 30. My worry is replacing the tire or having a flat and not being able to find a local guy to mount and balance the tire. Guess I can have it towed home if I am not too far out. Just don't want to be out in the middle of no where and lose a tire.

T

Thomason Performance

Was thinking about going with a 21" wheel but then I saw a local guy rolling a 23". It seems I got the go big or go home bug. Looking at going with a 26 or 30. My worry is replacing the tire or having a flat and not being able to find a local guy to mount and balance the tire. Guess I can have it towed home if I am not too far out. Just don't want to be out in the middle of no where and lose a tire.

Welcome to the forum!

There are a couple things you can do to help alleviate your concern of breaking down. One is you can run a tube in the 26" wheels, and just keep an extra one with you. Or you can run Ride-On Sealant and it will plug just about any hole you encounter while riding, and at the very least - it will get you home.

That being said, I know Vee Rubber makes crappy tires - trust me I know. But for the 26" and 30" that's all you get unless Avon takes me up on the offer to make molds for those size tires(anyone from Avon listening - crickets chirping...) But there are a lot of guys, a bunch on this forum, that will tell you they have thousands of miles on their bikes with 26's (and some 30's) and will put thousands more on without worrying about it all that much.

If there is anything I can do to help your wheel buying decision please do not hesitate to ask. And when you're ready for the a wheel be sure and check out the shop's site and let me know if you see anything you like!

Greg

Latest posts