26†Newbie

donald64bo

Upgraded from a 21†to a 26†on my 2014 SG. I get a wobble around 90mph. Here’s what I discovered, I went with a dual rotors.
One rotor which is a 2 piece has a lot of play in the assembly ( 1/16†easy) I’m hoping this could be my issue, either way it’s not right.
AS bolt on rake, 38*
Any thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanna Ride

The rotor issue could certainly be contributing to it. But it can also be a dozen other issues too; tire pressure (front and/or rear,) fall away could be off, etc.

donald64bo

If you’re not braking at 90, it’s probably in the neck tension.

I’ll have my mechanic double check the tension, he was confident the torque was per the spec. I was thinking the play in the rotor could be my main problem. I do realize a number of things could contribute,I’ve worked my way through the low hanging fruit.

Wanna Ride

I’ll have my mechanic double check the tension, he was confident the torque was per the spec. I was thinking the play in the rotor could be my main problem. I do realize a number of things could contribute,I’ve worked my way through the low hanging fruit.
Sure. It would be remiss to not mention those little items first. I know back when all these tree and/or neck kits were new, there wasn't a lot of info available and it was almost taboo getting anyone to really commit to solid torque specs. And of course, the HD manual is also pretty vague on the factory details too, on the fall away specs. Not saying this is the case with your situation, but a lot of guys found that torqueing beyond the "vague" specs, seemed to eliminate the issues. I know that resolved my issues, and heard lots of guys back then, share the same results. I've got the Pickard trees on my bike, and have been running them for over four years. Other than that issue early on, and another little issue with the fairing/turn signal supports breaking off, I've had no other issues. I've heard that they redesigned those, to correct that issue. The problem was, there's just not a lot of material on the sides of the trees (outboard, on the lower tube section), to support the stand-offs. I disassembled the fairing, removed the trees and welded the stand-offs to the trees. When I reassembled everything, I deleted the auxiliary spotlights, for two reasons; they're pretty heavy, and I just wanted to clean up the appearance of the fairing area. I posted a write-up about this with pictures back then, but was using photo-bucket. Since then, photo-bucket has discontinued the free subscription with third-party hosting, so any of those pics no longer show up here. Somewhere, I have pictures of all that, if you need them, let me know and I'll dig them up.

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
Put a stock rotor on to eliminate that so you’ll feel confident it’s not the rotors.

Lots of factors can cause this.

To low rear air.
To high front air.
Slack rear tire 42psi minimum 50max
Over loaded towards the rear(balance like a trailer, wiggle like a trailer)
Neck tension
To low of load rating on rear tire

DirtyDan

Take heed from these guys. They know what they are talking about.

Hey Bob, you sell it yet?

Wanna Ride

Put a stock rotor on to eliminate that so you’ll feel confident it’s not the rotors.

Lots of factors can cause this.

To low rear air.
To high front air.
Slack rear tire 42psi minimum 50max
Over loaded towards the rear(balance like a trailer, wiggle like a trailer)
Neck tension
To low of load rating on rear tire
Yep. At some point on others bikes, I've seen a variety of the causes that Marc mentioned as well. I think my rear tire calls for about 36psi, and I had developed a slight wobble. Per Marc's suggestion a few years ago, I increased the rear psi to 42, and it went away. So as you can see where we're going with this, sometimes it's just a slight change that corrects an issue like this. And back in the day, when everyone was first building these chopped baggers, it was all just kinda trial and error.

donald64bo

Thanks for the feedback all...
Working out of town this week so I’ll have to look into this next weekend.

DirtyDan

Yep, I know all about that stage Torn about selling my Vic right now but its prob the thing to do. i should buy yours.

Wanna Ride

Yep, I know all about that stage Torn about selling my Vic right now but its prob the thing to do. i should buy yours.
Which one? Still got the white one and the trike? I'd love to see a friend buy my bike instead of a stranger. And it'd be a good excuse for us to go to Portillo's.

DirtyDan

White one is long gone. trike got sold a couple months ago. I've rebuilt 3 other too but parts prices are through the roof but bike resale is in the toilet so. I'll call you

Wanna Ride

White one is long gone. trike got sold a couple months ago. I've rebuilt 3 other too but parts prices are through the roof but bike resale is in the toilet so. I'll call you
Now I remember, a while back you told me you were selling the white bike. Give me a call, we need to catch up anyways.

donald64bo

Dealer just called and said my rear tire is cupped pretty bad ( too many burn outs) and thinks that could be my issue.

Latest posts