21" 3D Elevation Series Wheel - Manufacturing Process

• Thread starter Thomason Performance
  • Start date
  • Help support Chopped Baggers :
T

Thomason Performance

This is my 3D 21" Elevation Series wheel I'm currently working on for the shop Road King. I'll post up pics of the manufacturing process as the wheel progresses. This is the final design.

Greg
Thomason Performance
www.thomasonperformance.com
elevation4.jpgelevation1.jpgelevation2.jpgelevation3.jpg

T

Thomason Performance

Looks nice brother as usual. Mastercam gonna crunch it out! I need to get you to turn me some blanks on your VTL.

Thanks brother! It actually crashed MasterCam on me writing the toolpaths! lol. I've got a buddy of mine who just built me a ridiculous new computer for it. Hopefully no more issues...

I can turn you some blanks. Timing is just a pain on them - the machine is usually turning giant 4140 steel rings to be made into die clamps for pellet machines. The rings are stupid big. I think the smallest one is 38" in OD finished. So i do the blanks when i get a free window of time on it.

T

Thomason Performance

Very cool! Can't wait to see the chips flying!

you and me both!!!! lol. The aluminum plate is going in the mill today to get the corners knocked off, then I need to check the schedule and see if I can't get the rough blank turned next week. But it's bike week up here, so that might not happen...

TraceCave Customs

Thanks brother! It actually crashed MasterCam on me writing the toolpaths! lol. I've got a buddy of mine who just built me a ridiculous new computer for it. Hopefully no more issues...

I can turn you some blanks. Timing is just a pain on them - the machine is usually turning giant 4140 steel rings to be made into die clamps for pellet machines. The rings are stupid big. I think the smallest one is 38" in OD finished. So i do the blanks when i get a free window of time on it.

I bet it did crash it. I use Unigraphics and Surfcam. they will drag down some computers too.

Well I got plenty of plate when the time comes. Maybe trade you out some. I can waterjet them round before I send them.

T

Thomason Performance

I bet it did crash it. I use Unigraphics and Surfcam. they will drag down some computers too.

Well I got plenty of plate when the time comes. Maybe trade you out some. I can waterjet them round before I send them.

You can waterjet 4.5" + thick AL??? COOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!! Yeah - we'll def talk!

T

Thomason Performance

Yep it waterjets anything you can get under the head and it has 6"under the head. I have cut 6" bullet proof glass, 4" titanium, granite and slate.

Let's see some pics of that bad boy! I didn't think waterjet had the force to cut that thick of pretty much anything. I've been thinking about a small one for the rotors - they beat the crap out of tools. The I'd just need to clean them up in the mill...

TraceCave Customs

Let's see some pics of that bad boy! I didn't think waterjet had the force to cut that thick of pretty much anything. I've been thinking about a small one for the rotors - they beat the crap out of tools. The I'd just need to clean them up in the mill...

Yea I started blanking out rotors on the waterjet. They do consume some endmills. I hate that All American quit pre polishing rotors. Who do you have do them? Its a bitch doing them myself.

Here is our Waterjet. If you search youtube you can get get some good ideas on what all it can cut.

http://www.flowwaterjet.com/en/waterjet-cutting/cutting-systems/mach-3/cutting-systems/Mach%203b%20Models.aspx

T

Thomason Performance

Yea I started blanking out rotors on the waterjet. They do consume some endmills. I hate that All American quit pre polishing rotors. Who do you have do them? Its a bitch doing them myself.

Here is our Waterjet. If you search youtube you can get get some good ideas on what all it can cut.

http://www.flowwaterjet.com/en/waterjet-cutting/cutting-systems/mach-3/cutting-systems/Mach%203b%20Models.aspx

I actually need a couple (2) 16" rotors and an 18" rotor. Interested in pricing them out for me?

I polish the rotors here. It sucks. I've been bugging Lizette to tell me who was doing it but she won't give it up. I'd gladly pay whatever it cost - it beats polishing them here. I almost said f'it and went only 2-piece just so I didn't have to deal with the crappy stainless ones.

TraceCave Customs

I actually need a couple (2) 16" rotors and an 18" rotor. Interested in pricing them out for me?

I polish the rotors here. It sucks. I've been bugging Lizette to tell me who was doing it but she won't give it up. I'd gladly pay whatever it cost - it beats polishing them here. I almost said f'it and went only 2-piece just so I didn't have to deal with the crappy stainless ones.

I still order from Liz. When I said blanking I meant the inside contours, slots and mounting holes. I have not seen a good source for the hardened ground stainless and I don't have a blanchard grinder to do it myself.

Latest posts