2012 Fatboy Bagger Build

First thread I have done seeing as how I am new to this site so pardon my mistakes if I make any. As of right now I do not have any pictures to speak of seeing as how we just started the build. Plans are a 4" stretch rear fender and bags, Legend Air Ride, 9" rise bars, 23" rim, Skirted front fender, paint and more goodies that I want to bore anyone with. Going with a HHI 4 degree rake fatboy trees and the stretch in the rear is being done in house so not an off the shelf item (yet!). All and any advice along the way would be great.

Woody

Sounds good and welcome to the site! I just bagged out my Fat Boy last year, so feel free to ask and I would be glad to help if I can.

Bars.jpgRearFender.jpg
These are the bars I am running and the fender is in the early stages but coming along nice. I am sure from the picture some of you can tell this is another Camtech project by the bikes in the back. I have the pleasure of learning things I don't yet know from the guys. Give me a piece of steel and I can make you what ever you want. Tell me to put some fiberglass on it and we got problems, at least it was like that until this fender. I will post pictures along the way and keep everyone interested on the project updated.

Nick-O

I knew your name was familiar...you are a smooth welder Jonathon, you do good work. Glad to see you got your hands on a project.

Nick-O

Yep, it was Josh....he showed me around on Black Friday while I was waiting on Cameron...real nice guy...his welding was spot perfect. Sorry!

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Welcome! Look forward to the progress!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Can anyone help with this question? Mark at HHI says that he recommends running their 4 degree fatboy neck for a 23" front wheel. Been reading a lot of forum talk here and other sites and there seems to be some mixed discussion on this. I ride every day I get the chance so we are not dealing with a show bike. Some say to run a 6 degree set and some say they have a 4. The reasoning behind going to the 6 degree is because they did not like the wheel tucked in so much. My thinking is that keeping the trail correct is the most important factor when riding for the best possible ride. I am going to be running a 23 fat 50 spoke front wheel with an old/new school style paint so I am trying to accomplish old meets new style. I would just like some input from anyone that has done the 23 and raked trees and what their thoughts are. Any pics with this setup so I could see would be great, 4 degree and 6 degree. Thanks

Build Change! After doing some more research I have found the following configuration will put the trail where it needs to be. Arlen Ness now has a set of 6 degree trees for the softail. You have to shorten the forks by 1" to 29.5" instead of the factory 30.5". Doing this will allow for a 26" while keeping the trail in place for everyday riding. So it's by to the 23 and back to the 26 like I originally wanted to run. Got to thank the guys at Camtech for pushing me on this one. I do a little work for them when they need some machining done so it's good to have them not letting me walk away from what I really wanted in the first place.

Woody

If you can go 26" with just trees and shorter tubes, wouldn't the 6 degree HHI trees accomplish the same thing?

When I spoke with them they suggested cutting in addition, because the trail would be off with just trees. Maybe Ness has less offset in their trees?

I also noticed that Ness just did a FatBoy build with these on FB, but they only used it for a 23".

Last edited:
Woody, the design of HHI versus Ness trees looks to be a little different. I will be able to post more next week because Arlen Ness hasn't even released them yet with no idea when they will as of this week. So, we will be getting the HHI 6 degree trees in next week and seeing how the numbers come out. I also seen the FatBoy on Facebook and maybe it's just me but the 23 with the 6 degree trees doesn't look as good as the 4 degree with a 23 that HHI shows on their website. I had set my mind up with just doing the 23 but in the beginning I set out for the 26 so if we can get the numbers to come out then a 26 it is. I will make sure to let everyone know what the trail ends up at and what we has to do in order to get it.

Woody

Great, thanks.

And I agree, the 23 with the 6 degree trees does not look as good as with HHI 4 degree. I assume the 26" would look better.

No fairing. Thought about running the TJD Road Glide speaker fairing but as it moves along I decided I like the open front look. Right now I am just trying to decide if I am going to run a stretched nacelle or powder coat the stock Fatboy light setup along with the road lights. Everyone is running stretched nacelles these days and I am trying to keep it away from the norm with my own little twist. I guess only time will tell what I actually do with it!

Latest posts