2002 vs 2009 road king?

nverlast1

Im looking for a project bike for road king. I wanna throw either a 26 or 30 inch wheel on front, bags, air ride and system but I still want to be able to ride the bike say for 6-8 hours straight on a roadtrip so I have a few questions.
1. Does the year of road king matter?
2. Does a 26 vs 30 matter?
3. how long and far back can bags be without issues?

Appling Bagger

Site Supporter
Hello nverlast1,

Sorry for the delayed response. I haven't been on much since the holidays. To give you my opinion on below, here it goes(btw-I'm no expert)

1. Does the year of road king matter? yes but depends on what your trying to accomplish and budget. All touring bikes went to a newer frame in 09 then again in 17 I believe. Totally different rear ends plus allows for much wider tire. 08 back to late 90's are all the same. I went with the older frame because I wanted the less expensive donor bike. The lid and bag design on the 14 and newer bags are a much better design. Also some of the MFG's have limited options for the older pre 08 frames.

2. Does a 26 vs 30 matter? It depends. They both ride very well BUT the 30 makes for a lot bigger/longer bike

3. how long and far back can bags be without issues? They will all have ground clearance issues if you slam it or lay frame. Some MFG's modify and angle the bottoms of their bags for clearance. I'm not exactly up to speed on who has the most clearance but i went with the TOL for this specific reason. Just spend the money and get the good quality stuff. It's less expensive in the long run.

Hope this helps

Appling

Latest posts