1999 Roadstar garage build... I'm new, be gentle!!!

PAhumbug

Site Supporter
Well I figured I'd start a thread. I've had this bike for a while. A couple years ago I bought a 26" RG and pretty much had to redo everything, so while this is my first build, I have been tinkering and learning a lot from you guys. Here is how the bike was when I got it, for the most part (photobucket will not let this photo be vertical for some reason):

It won 2nd place (Metric) in 2010 at Roar on the Shore (Erie PA) when Arlen and Cory Ness were judging:

It needed a paint job and was a bit dated, but I love the bike and couldn't bring myself to sell it. I haven't ridden it for a couple years, so I decided to turn it into a bagger.
Tear down:

Lose the trees and replace neck bearings:

Got some 8 degree trees from BVD/Strike 3/Brian Veney:

I put a black wheel on my RG and saved the chrome Glenndyne G7 wheel for this build:

Brian also hooked me up with a Tricky rear shock, stainless tank, and air pistons for the front:

I went with a RK nacelle from BadDad, here is it just thrown on to see how it looks. The bike is still on the lift so it will sit lower when aired out.

Brian also hooked me up with an adapter so I can use an HHI 6 piston caliper. Still need to figure out fender mounts, bars, etc and the front will be pretty much mocked up. Then on to the ass end.

PAhumbug

Site Supporter
Thanks guys. I got the rear shock installed last night, and got the rear fender supports and adjustable dog bones set just right so the tire won't rub when aired out. Looks like it will sit about 2" off the ground. I can't get it off the lift until I get the air plumbed/wired.

Last edited:

Dragon Dude

Nice job. Iv'e seen Brians bikes and the stuff he provides to make a Road Star look good. I was going that route but when Yamaha stopped making cruisers i decided to go with a Road Glide for a more supported bike. I am looking forward to seeing yours come together. Road Stars are great bikes and fun to build. Thanks for the pics.

PAhumbug

Site Supporter
I spent a little time on the bike this weekend, and I spent a lot of time on the internet researching lol. I got the nacelle located where I want it. I moved it up a bit to allow the airlines to be hidden. Ordered risers and turn signals, once they come in I can get them located and finish tweaking the nacelle. I put on the dchopper bag brackets, which are great, they have tons of adjustability. I don't know where they will need to be until I get my fender and bags in, but I needed to hang my air tank so I could start running air lines/wires. Slow going, but it's going...

Torch

Site Supporter
Making progress, gonna look pretty cool when you get'r done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtyDan

looking good so far! I always really enjoy seeing a non traditional build. I'm sure it will be killer!

DSmoke

Nice work, I sold my RoadStar for my HD to build my bagger, I took the easy road. I did love my RoadStar though.

PAhumbug

Site Supporter
Very nice brother. Seems to be coming along nicely.

Brian makes some killer parts for the Roadstars.

Should look great when finished.
Yeah Brian has been a great help. It's coming along, I sure wish it would go faster but I keep telling myself not to rush it or take any shortcuts. I just hope it turns out like looks in my head lol.

PAhumbug

Site Supporter
Had to modify the tank a bit (wasn't made for my bike, as usual). The curved hook that goes over the bag rail needed flipped around, so I bent it around the other way. Would have been easy had it not been welded to the tank already, but I got it done. Had to trim a bit off the bag bracket too. It's pretty close now.

PAhumbug

Site Supporter
Well I just had a setback with my parts list. BVD was working on getting some stretched bags when I started but just informed me that plan fell through. The only other stretched bags (down and out) for the roadie that I'm aware of so far is from bagger bags, and I've heard that they are terrible quality. I'm not a body guy so I was hoping for something that bolted on and would only need minor tweaking. Bad Dad are nice but I really want a long and low stretched look. Back to the drawing board.

On another note, I got my front fender mounted last night. It was a bit tricky because it wasn't made for a roadie. Used BVD fender spacers, which have a blind hole that mounts the fender to the spacer, so getting the location was all measuring and a bit nerve wrecking when it came time to drill. Had to trim almost 2 inches off the fender mounting tab area. I still need to trim the nacelle, the suspension is not fully collapsed in the pic and it will currently hit as it sits.

Latest posts