11' SG build

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

diggler

well i was going to play it conservative this year and just do bags, fender, and a new paint job, but i think im going to put trees and a 23 on it, i mean what the hell its only money. My bike was denim black but ive decided im going to go with a metallic black, considered harley black pearl, just a little to much grayness for me. I picked out a 02' BMW metallic black. got the bike all torn down and pretty much ready for paint inner fairing included. Alright time for a few questions are the dual stock rotors sufficient for now, probably switch to single 13" next year. Ive heard of the wobble with a 26 just doing trees is it also a problem with the 23?100_0604.jpg100_0608.jpg.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
What trees are you planning on running with the 23"? The 12* Kewl Metal trees should give you a nice ride. Everything else may work but it's not quite what they were intended for. Some other options are 7* neck/7* trees, 9* neck, 9* trees, 7* HHI trees, 7* Trike trees, etc...

The 12" Kewl Metal and the 7*/7* combo are the two that are actually designed for a 23". All the other options you will have to comprimise on something be it ride height, travel, low speed stability, etc...

For the brakes I believe the dual 11.8" setup is superior to a single 13" rotor any day. Nothing wrong with the stock brakes, you can get 11.8" rotor sto match your wheel too.

cant wait to see how your build goes... I think the 23 and Kewl trees is the way I am looking, but one pic makes them look long, another pic they look perfectly tucked (front wheel that is).

by the way "i mean what the hell its only money" is the wrong thing to say around here! These guys will have you spending all that "only money" you have! This place is addictive.

PS, the bike in the background looks super slammed!

DAPERFORMANCE

Extreme Vendor
i think 12 degrees is too much rake in just trees. if your going 23" u should either cut frame and trees. or just put 7 degree tri glide or hhi trees and call it a day. if u want the long raked look go the fram route, but my opinion i dont like the 23" with the long rake if ur gonna chop frame go 26". If ur going 23" just through a set of 7 degree trees. it will ride nice and sit stk height. u can even lower it a inch and put travel limiters in it.. we do 23" all the time with tri glide trees and they ride perfect at all speeds, been doing them since the 23"s came out.MY ROADKING 026.jpgMY ROADKING 015.jpg

diggler

so what is all needed to go with the tri glide trees, just the upper and lower trees off the trike? or do you need the longer forks as well?
and if you go with the HHI trees you need to cut the frame or no?
sorry guys all still pretty new to me

Last edited:

thecort

You can just buy the HHI tree kit for the 23", you don't need to cut the frame. It comes with everything you need for the triple tree changeover. You'll probably need to correct the headlight angle too. In that case you have a few options: wedge the headlight, raked headlight bucket or I think you can get a raked fairing too (I'm not sure if the fairing will be too much of a raked for trees only).
Some other guys here will know for sure.

Tap it!

yardsale

Up in da one fiddy...
i think 12 degrees is too much rake in just trees. if your going 23" u should either cut frame and trees. or just put 7 degree tri glide or hhi trees and call it a day. if u want the long raked look go the fram route, but my opinion i dont like the 23" with the long rake if ur gonna chop frame go 26". If ur going 23" just through a set of 7 degree trees. it will ride nice and sit stk height. u can even lower it a inch and put travel limiters in it.. we do 23" all the time with tri glide trees and they ride perfect at all speeds, been doing them since the 23"s came out.

Some quality point right there... if you are thinking 12 deg trees because you like the laid-out look, save yourself a lot of pain, cash and re-work and just do the frame-rake/tree combo/26 inch now...
Signed,
"I'm just gonna do bags and a 23-inch for now..."

WanaRyd Wheels

Extreme Vendor
Most of our customers who go with the 23" front wheel purchase the 7 degree triple tree from HHI. We've seen some cut the neck, but the vast majority (like thecort mentioned) just buy the trees and do not cut the frame.

diggler

Well its coming together decided against the big wheel. My good buddy is the owner of top shop I'll post some pictures in the next couple day's. He did all the painting on it i went with a bmw metallic black and putting a 21 on it.should have it all put back together when i get off work next time.

Sedona Blue

Site Supporter
And that's why I love this place! So much knowledge from guys who have learned what works and what doesn't. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I'm one of those guys that buys something. Ride it for a year and change it all up. So jumping straight to a 26 is the way to go for me.

Latest posts