10K Service on my 2012 SG... What does it detail?

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Joebagger

Site Supporter
Hello all!!! I have been kicking the 10k service price around in my head... And the 388 bucks they charge at the dealership is it worth it? I have owned ton of sportbikes and I know they charge high prices for these services and really just changed the oil and do visual checks... Let me know what you guys think? Is this something I can do myself or do they really perform a detailed maintence procedure?

BLACKIZZLE

Site Supporter
im a motorcycle mechanic here in iowa, and im not gonna lie, do it yourself. they dont get down to the nitty gritty when doing the check over. they just check the boxes off in your booklet and send you out the door taking your money. its easy stuff, you can handle it yourself. just buy a center stand for you bike and give yourself about 2 hours.

thecort

Well, if you can do it yourself then you shouldn't waste your money taking it to the dealer.

Tap it!

thecort

On the other hand, if you're looking to sell the bike in the future with receipts & service records then take it in to a shop.

Tap it!

Baddd bagger

Moderator and Buddy.
Hey bro I bought my 09sg with 4800 on it I now have 25000 on it and all service done myself, ur cams adjusters are self adjusting and as long as there is no oil leaks ride it like u stole it lol dealers don't care about receipts and neither do buyers they want to make sure it runs and no noises and that the price is right, at 30,000 miles I would start thinking about having a spare drive belt on hand just to be safe :sifone:

Joebagger

Site Supporter
Hey bro I bought my 09sg with 4800 on it I now have 25000 on it and all service done myself, ur cams adjusters are self adjusting and as long as there is no oil leaks ride it like u stole it lol dealers don't care about receipts and neither do buyers they want to make sure it runs and no noises and that the price is right, at 30,000 miles I would start thinking about having a spare drive belt on hand just to be safe :sifone:
BB That's what I like to hear! Thanks man and kept riding hard!:6 (3):

Mechanic77

Like everyone else is saying, just do it yourself.....51,000 on my '04 FLHT and it hadn't been back to a dealership until I had my accident, and that was only to do an estimate for the insurance company. Best advice I can give you is buy a factory service manual and take your time checking it over ;)

Joebagger

Site Supporter
Slothy.... I'm from Washington DC original but have been in garner/Raleigh area for 6 years

Latest posts