103" engine upgrade cams & what else???

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

XXHDXX

X rated Harley Davidson
So I have a 2011 SG with a stock 103" that only has 1,500 miles on it. I have V&H power duals, V&H high output slip on mufflers, stage 1 air cleaner and a fuel moto tuner. I'm just about finished with rake, body & paint but wanted to add a little to the motor so it wasn't completely stock.

So I picked up a set of Woods 222 cams from a member here but I wanted to know what other things I should get to go along with this. I don't want to get too involved in the motor with head work right now but I don't mind doing what is right to make the most out of changing cams.

BlueMountain

dont forget to change your lifters as well and cam bearings over to tinkim type ones, id suggest a mild head job, street port and a shave to increase comp, adjustable pushrods and a set of zippers cam chain adjusters and a Aim clutch kit to handle the extra power you will be good too go, maybe a new Axtel oil byepass system for a better oiling solution, up too you

XXHDXX

X rated Harley Davidson
dont forget to change your lifters as well and cam bearings over to tinkim type ones, id suggest a mild head job, street port and a shave to increase comp, adjustable pushrods and a set of zippers cam chain adjusters and a Aim clutch kit to handle the extra power you will be good too go, maybe a new Axtel oil byepass system for a better oiling solution, up too you

ok on the lifters and cam bearings. any suggestions on lifters? the other things you mentioned on doing is something I'd consider doing over the winter. My build is almost done and I'm itching to get it on the street.

Fire-Medic

Gaterman lifters and you're good. Don;t forget the cam install kit which brings the gaskets, inner cam bearings, etc, and the adjustable pushrods.

Big Evil

Site Supporter

How much do you shave, and what is the resulting compression with stock pistons?
are you shaving the bottom of the heads, or the top of the jugs?

Zach

Site Supporter
Those cams are designed to work in the stock compression range. If you are wanting to raise compression by shaving the heads, there are better cams out there.

Drop those cams in and make sure you get a good tune and you should be happy until it's time to tear down for more.

Zach

XXHDXX

X rated Harley Davidson
Thanks Zach. I spoke to Frank at Drago's as well as Brian at Fuel Moto and I think this is what direction I'm going. They said with the low mileage on my bike a few of these are not necessary but would be a good upgrade.
New Pushrods, new inner bearings, directional lifters and zippers dual tensioner.

Ken Stewart

I did adjustable rods but left the stock lifters I was told with as low as miles on my bike and seeing how I was only running this setup till winter I would be fine I got plans to go bigger but get lost on what direction I should take

denimglide57

I was told to just upgrade my 103 I wanna do a 107 but I think I'm just gonna go with this route, cams, push rods, lifters, and have the heads done and a higher compression pistons, should make good usable power. Gonna switch out the pc v for the thunder max as well.

Ken Stewart

I was told to just upgrade my 103 I wanna do a 107 but I think I'm just gonna go with this route, cams, push rods, lifters, and have the heads done and a higher compression pistons, should make good usable power. Gonna switch out the pc v for the thunder max as well.

What kind of power would we be talking if you went this route over the 107 I had this same thought go 107 are build off my 103

XXHDXX

X rated Harley Davidson
Ok, so the cams, lifters etc are going into my bike this weekend and I have my new map from Fuel Moto.

My question is what type of break in should I be doing (in detail)? Keep in mind my bike only has less than 1,500 miles on the motor.

BlueMountain

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0702_hbkp_safe_engine_break_in/viewall.html
Breaking in your motor is vital to the life of your engine. Axtell’s recommended method of
break-in is to heat cycle the motor. Start the motor (with plenty of air blowing over the motor to dissipate
heat) and allow it to run for thirty seconds. Allow the motor to completely cool to room temperature.
Once cooled, start the motor again and allow it to run for sixty seconds followed by a complete cool
down. Repeat this process, adding thirty seconds each time until you have reached four minutes.
Now the vital break-in is done. However, over the course of the next thousand miles, the internal
components are still familiarizing themselves with one another, so take special care during that time.
Keep your engine under 3500 RPM’s for the first 300 miles, and less than 4000 RPM’s for the first 1000
miles. Do not put a large load on the engine and be careful not to “lug†the engine during the 1000-mile
break in period.
This is a cut and paste from axtel, oil changes and heat cycling are recommend bye most reputable engine builders, once this is done correctly then ride it like you stole it lol

Latest posts